Who’s Running for the BOE? The Four Contenders: Concetta Vecchione

Concetta Vecchione, a candidate for the 2020 Kinnelon BOE election.

With elections coming up for both our nation and our local BOE, political involvement is something that we all have to partake in. However, true information about each of our candidates is paramount in order to form wise, informed decisions. Below is the transcript of an interview conducted with BOE candidate Concetta Vecchione in which she discusses her planned campaign policies and proven qualifications.

1. Who/What inspired you to run for our local BOE? What are a few campaign goals you hope to accomplish if elected?
I live in Kinnelon and have been through every school in the district. Therefore, my views regarding the Kinnelon School District are nearly 12 years in the making.
As a former student, I have first-hand knowledge of the Kinnelon schools’ internal operations and a unique perspective on how the board of education policies affects the students and faculty. I have seen many aspects of the school system that could be reworked to improve students’ quality of education.
There are many issues that I hope to address if elected. First of all, the covid-19 pandemic is the top priority in school districts all over the country, especially in Kinnelon. Students greatly benefit from an in-person education and the ability to interact with their peers. However, with the uptick in New Jersey cases, we have to proceed very cautiously with a reopening plan. I intend to collaborate closely and efficiently with the students, parents, faculty, administration, and health professionals and follow the executive orders set forth by Governor Murphy to open the schools for students in a way that prevents a second wave and keeps the members of Kinnelon safe.
In the long term, some of my goals include: implementing inclusivity initiatives for students with special needs, improving accessible mental health resources, updating the school curriculum resources, and improving transparency and communication between the board of education and students/parents.

2. What experiences/qualifications/beliefs do you have that are integral to your campaign’s validity? How have you attempted to reach out and connect to all members of our community, from the elderly to working adults to teens in high school?
A member of the board of education should understand the operations of a school district and have an open-minded and collaborative attitude. Not only have I lived in the district for nearly my entire life, but I have also been active in the community. Over the years, I have involved myself in many activities with Kinnelon that improved my connection to and understanding of the community.
I was a safety town counselor for three years. In my senior year of high school, I volunteered as a teaching assistant, so I know the current classroom operations within the district and extracurricular activities. However, I also have experience in school operations outside of Kinnelon.
For example, I have served as a member of the Scarlet Honor Council at Rutgers University, which adjudicates matters involving the student code of conduct and academic integrity policies. This requires extensive knowledge of how the school operates and close collaboration with the faculty and administration.
I have also worked as a member of the i3 restorative justice project, which sought to implement improved educational practices in 18 Brooklyn schools. This position again required knowledge of how each school operates and how the students currently interact with the staff.
As a candidate, I am open-minded. Therefore, I’m willing to listen to and collaborate with other board members to make the best decisions for the people in this community. I am also detail-oriented, so I will make sure no stone is left unturned when researching and implementing programs in the schools, ways to streamline the budget, inclusivity programs, etc.
As someone with a brother with special needs, I am a staunch supporter of inclusivity across all grade levels. For kids with special needs and without special needs, we need to push forward to make sure every student feels included socially, emotionally, and academically. This school district and this community need inclusivity, accessibility, transparency, close communication, and teamwork.

3. How do you intend to support our faculty/staff should the pandemic continue to keep schools closed? For example, bus drivers, custodial workers, etc.
This pandemic has affected every student, parent, teacher, and every member of our community. There is no definite way to predict how the COVID-19 pandemic will affect the future of Kinnelon Schools, which is why collaborative efforts from every member of the school district and the community are essential to return to a form of normal school instruction and progress through these stages in a way that keeps students, teachers, faculty, and the members of the community safe.

4. How do you intend to support/prepare students for life past high school?
In terms of preparing students for college, many academic programs improve students’ college applications and prepare them for a college-level course load.
Implementing more AP classes, IB programs, and offering SAT prep classes are some of the initiatives I support to improve students’ education and college preparedness.
As a student, preparing for college is an extremely stressful and difficult process in a broader sense. On top of an already stressful process, high school students deal with the stress of getting good grades, doing enough extracurriculars, and getting a good score on the SAT.
While we have to work within a paradigm that values these criteria currently, we also have to be mindful of the students’ mental and physical health. We should increase the mental health resources available so that students can manage their mental health and work to develop healthy habits regarding managing their schoolwork and interpersonal relationships.
Yes, preparing for college is important, but helping students develop healthy life skills and behaviors will set them up for a successful college and post-college career.