Are Final Exams Making a Comeback?

An update on finals this year and how they have changed

Since quarantine, finals have been required at KHS, but with a return to normalcy this year, will they make a return, too? Will finals be different than two years ago, and when will finals be held?

The short answer is yes. Principal Gary Suda has confirmed that finals will be returning this year.

History and English final exams will be held on June 16, World Language and Math final exams will be held on June 17, and Science and makeup final exams will be held on June 20.

Final exams allow teachers to track how much students have learned over the course of the year and identify any areas that need more attention. They also give students an opportunity to develop test taking skills and gain experience taking tests over longer periods of time.

— Vincent Shivas

The current juniors and sophomores have never taken final exams, while the seniors have only taken finals in their freshman year.

Freshman Julia Haines says, “I don’t feel that we should bring back final exams because it just causes unnecessary stress to students. Your grades shouldn’t be determined by just one big test … instead, it should be how the student does throughout the year.”

Junior Shea Porada adds, “As a person who has never taken a final before, I am a little bit worried because I feel like I am not prepared for it. There should be something done to make the transition from absolutely no finals for basically two years, to finals.”

The finals this year, as they have in previous years, will be worth 10% of a student’s yearly average.

As finals have not been conducted in over two years, many students have never experienced a final exam and have little to no idea what to expect.But getting finals back also means that KHS is taking one step closer to normalcy, even if it is not what many students expected this step to be.

Nevertheless, Porada says, “I think it’s good that they’re returning because it’s better late than never.”

Administrator and history teacher Matt Arroyo commented on the overall importance of final exams. “Final exams are important and beneficial as they allow students to demonstrate their mastery of core curricular concepts over a period of time ranging from a half to full year. They are effective preparation tools for college, other institutions of learning, and the workplace.”

Vice principal Vincent Shivas added, “Final exams allow teachers to track how much students have learned over the course of the year and identify any areas that need more attention. They also give students an opportunity to develop test taking skills and gain experience taking tests over longer periods of time.”

Finals are right around the corner, as we get closer to the end of the third marking period. One thing is for sure, though, KHS is getting closer and closer to normalcy.