Governors Ball 2023

Fireworks at the 2023 annual Governors Ball Music Festival. Photo courtesy of Governs Ball

Governors Ball is making a timely comeback this summer in Queens, NYC. 

The three-day event will take place from June 9-11 at Flushing Meadows Corona Park, for the first time in its twelve-year history. This location has been boasted as one of New York’s “most iconic green spaces” by Side Stage Magazine. Flushing Meadows has notably hosted historic events such as the annual U.S. Open Tennis Championship and two World’s Fairs.

Governors Ball Lineup Poster https://www.governorsballmusicfestival.com/lineup-poster/ 

Gov Ball will feature many artists, including headliners Lizzo, Kendrick Lamar, and ODESZA. From rap and r&b to rock and indie, Governor’s Ball is expected to satisfy all music lovers this year.

In 2020, COVID-19 risk and quarantine resulted in the cancellation of Governors Ball, leaving thousands disappointed. Governors Ball was rescheduled and held September 24-26, 2021. It proved to be long-anticipated, as over 100,000 people attended. Last year’s event proved to be as successful, with approximately 100,000 people in attendance

Unlike last year’s festival, the show will take place at Flushing Meadows Corona Park. Over the years Governors Ball has been held at Governors Island and Randall’s Island. Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, the event was relocated to Citi Field for the past two years. Despite the popularity of Citi Field, Tom Russell, co-founder of Founders Entertainment, claims that the ballpark was missing a greenspace. 

“Music festivals and festivals in general are so much different when they’re surrounded by trees and shade, and just a beautiful setting,” Russell said during a presentation with the Queens Borough Cabinet on April 3. “We’re lucky to have been chosen by the Parks Department and the city to take place this year in the park.”

The event coordinators explained last year that they picked Citi Field since it was near buses and the LIRR. They detailed that the arena’s simple access considers greater adaptability to possible climate incidents. This year’s location combines both easy accessibility and transportation, featuring the No. seven train line and the LIRR, as well as inviting picturesque green scenery. 

Governors Ball will take place on the cusp of the summer season. What better method for setting that summer vibe than an impressive setup of over sixty performing artists. 

Lizzo will kick off the event Friday, followed by artists including Lil Uzi Vert, Haim, Diplo, Omar Apollo, Kim Petras, Joey Bada$$, 070 Shake, Tai Verdes, and PJ Morton. 

Saturday will start off with ODESZA, while artists Lil Baby, aespa, Rina Sawayama, Lauv, Oliver Tree, Finneas, Kenny Beats, Snail Mail, Amber Mark, Syd, and Suki Waterhouse, are among the following performers. 

Kendrick Lamar will be the closing Governors Ball as Sunday’s opening artist, followed by artists such as Lil Nas X, Giveon, Sofi Tukker, Pusha T, Girl in Red, Tems, Pinkpantheress, Sabrina Claudio, Cat Burns, and Matt Latour. 

The Founders Entertainment Group of the Governors Ball Music Festival will be donating a portion of its profits to local non-profit organizations. This year they will be partnering with small businesses that are a part of the Queens Night Market. Last year the Gov Ball founders donated over $50,000 in efforts to aid the recovery of a Bronx apartment fire. The fire took place on January 9, 2022. The tragic fire killed seventeen people, including seven children. Dozens of other residents were severely injured. As native New Yorkers, the benefactors of Governors Ball have made charitable donations to the city tradition all through the celebration’s long-term history. The Founders Entertainment Group has gladly supported the nearby areas in NYC through their Gov Ball Gives Back program, and is prepared to continue donating in the future.

Tickets to Governors Ball range from as low as $130 for general admission tickets and up to $700 for three-day tickets. According to the Governors Ball official website, the event offers perks such as access to gourmet NYC food (including vegan, gluten-free, and vegetarian options), craft beer, cocktails, festival, and band merchandise, and free water stations. The website also promotes its additions of air-conditioned lounges and bathrooms, luxury bars, and shaded areas for those that purchase premium GA+ tickets.