Green Day returns to its roots in “Saviors”

Review of Green Day’s newest studio album
Tr%C3%A9+Cool+%28left%29%2C+Billie+Joe+Armstrong%2C+and+Mike+Dirnt+from+the+band+Green+Day.+
Photo by Emmie America.
Tré Cool (left), Billie Joe Armstrong, and Mike Dirnt from the band Green Day.

Grammy Award-winning Green Day’s mainstream-conquering album “American Idiot” starts with electrifying guitar and thunderous drums that would become synonymous with the band’s image. Twenty years ago, “American Idiot” was written during George W. Bush’s administration as he led the U.S. into the Iraq War following the 9/11 attacks. It was a scathing take on the political climate, systemic injustices, and deviance from the societal norm.

Over the years, the band has taken a detour from their unique pop-punk elements and shied away from politics like in their 2020 album “Father of All…”  However, Green Day’s newest album, “Saviors,” released on Jan. 19, is a return to the band’s roots with its catchy melodies and passionate lyrics.

The album kicks off with the rock n’ roll of “The American Dream Is Killing Me,” a look into the band’s ire with the American way of life with lyrics like “Don’t want no huddled masses/Tiktok and taxes.” The song continues with “From sea to shinin’ sea/Whitewashed upon the beach,” criticizing the U.S.’s history of brutal colonization using the famous American motto.

Frontman Billie Joe Armstrong delivers “Coma City” with his trademark vocals and dives headfirst into a darkly humorous melody on mass shootings. The band shows no restraint with lyrics like “Shooting in the distance/It’s on your face and hands/With no resistance” in a playful tone that captures their message perfectly. Armstrong continues with his unashamed opinions, “Don’t call the cops/Word on the street is they all quit their jobs.”

The band’s style of magnetizing hooks is on full display in “Living in the ‘20s” with a perfect mix of absurdity and frustration. But the lyrics leave much to be desired compared to the complexity of the rest of the album, bringing down the overall impact. The title track, “Saviors,” isn’t particularly outstanding compared to the album’s opening. With well-produced guitar licks but unremarkable lyrics, the track doesn’t hold much weight.

However, like throughout Green Day’s discography, the album includes more personal and vulnerable moments. Now in their ‘50s, the trio brings a more mature and nuanced perspective to their work compared with their most popular albums encapsulated by “Father to a Son.” Other tracks like “Goodnight Adeline” are a heartfelt ode to a fleeting love, bringing in the interest of new fans while still maintaining their smooth punk sound.

“Saviors” is a well-rounded album, mixing their old-school style of politically charged tracks with new, mature themes. While it doesn’t escape criticisms for some of their later tracks, Green Day has returned the fervor fans have been waiting for.