Why Students Should Join the New Debate Club

An emerging new club allows students to work on their debate skills and expand their extracurriculars!

Sara Garg, co-president of the debate club, is an experienced debater, competing internationally since 7th grade. Her positive experience with debate has inspired her to create this club so that others can learn and benefit from the same skills that she has.

Any student searching to enhance their extracurriculars should consider joining the debate club to learn life skills such as public speaking and how to develop arguments. According to Garg, “Debate is known to improve critical thinking skills and analysis.” These critical thinking skills can translate to other aspects of life and even help students in their classes. Additionally, Garg states that “Debate is known to boost points on the SAT.” 

Another benefit of joining this club is that it can make students stand out on college applications. For the many students nervously anticipating the college application process, joining the debate club is a compelling way for them to increase extracurriculars and enhance their image for colleges. Since debate skills are beneficial for many future careers, participation in this club gives members an advantage in getting into their top schools. 

Aside from the academic aspect of the debate club, this club serves as a way for members to socialize and make new friends. Garg aims to create a safe, fun environment for all members. She projects club meetings to occur 1-2 times a month and expects members to stay active by checking the Google Classroom for updates.

A tournament will take place at the end of the year for students to debate on a topic. This competition will grant competitors the chance to win a monetary prize. To prepare for the tournament, members will learn valuable skills from the club leaders and practice formulating arguments. As they research the assigned topic, students will gain perspective on global issues and have a deeper understanding of what is occurring in the world.

For anyone interested in joining the debate club, the Google Classroom code is 2ugojpn! If anyone has any questions regarding this club, they can reach Garg via email: [email protected]