Kinnelon Takes a Stab at Fencing

Julia Hackney, Staff Reporter

When the term “sports” is used,  popular pastimes like football or baseball may initially come to mind; many would not immediately think of fencing.   As a result of its stereotypical elegance and grace, however, fencing is deceptive, and one must attend a meet or tournament in order to witness its true competitiveness and entertainment value.  

Lauren Lee
James Lee watches as, Miles Contreras (left), and Kevin Hur (right) practice.

Kinnelon High School’s most recent addition to its wide variety of school-run sports is its fencing team, which then further divides into different categories:  foil, epee, and sabre. These categories stand for the three types of swords most typically used, each of which requires a different skill-set and style of competing.  

Junior Brianna Doward fences using a foil sword.  She says that she chose this type because she was “…afraid of being whacked with a blade in the head.”  This is the smallest type of sword, and usually targets the upper body (with the exception of the arms and neck).  Doward mentioned that she would definitely recommend fencing, and thinks that all blades have their benefits.

Epee swords are larger than foil swords, and when fencing with one, the opponent’s entire body is the target.  Freshman Maya Vaitovas says that she “…likes that epee is very strategic, and not too fast. During sabre you’re just running at each other, and trying to get the point first, and with foil there are so many complications.  I’d recommend foil for beginners because it causes less injuries.”

Julia Hackney
Maya Vaitovas (left), Christina Matinelli (right), while Jenny Poehlmann (left), and Lauren Lee (Right) watch the match.

Senior John Kay fences with a sabre blade. “It’s definitely not the easiest sword, but it’s a lot of fun.”  Kay says that anyone who is considering fencing should “…make sure that they’re flexible, and watch videos online and look at the different types of styles.”  

All of the fencers interviewed strongly recommended joining the team.  The whole team is looking forward to wrapping up a fantastic first year and even more eager to start their second.