Spice up your sips

Taking on the new Starbucks spicy refreshers.
Starbucks Stories and News
A Photo of the three new spicy refreshers

Just like the weather, Starbucks is heating it’s drinks. 

They recently came out with a new spicy refresher, which includes three flavors: Spicy Strawberry, Spicy Pineapple, and Spicy Dragon Fruit.

On Tuesday, Apr. 16, Starbucks came out with their new spicy refreshers. These spicy refreshers are only out for a limited time, but it is not confirmed when they will stop selling. Starbucks also came out with a spicy cream cold foam to go along with the drinks.

To make this drink, Starbucks takes one of their original refreshers and adds hot chili powder. Customers have also said that you can adjust the amount of hot chili pepper, which indicates how spicy the drink will be. This can affect many people’s opinions on the drink, depending if they like spiciness or not.

The Spicy Strawberry refresher smells like the original Strawberry Acai Refresher, it looked like it as well, just a few shades darker. During the first sip, there is a sensation of hot chili pepper burning. The refresher was not expected to be that strong. It looks like a normal, sweet drink, but you get a mouthful of chili pepper instead. It is interesting to see Starbucks experimenting with new flavors, but the spiciness was a little too much.. The chili pepper took over the whole drink, and it outbalanced the other flavors one is supposed to taste. Overall, the drink was okay. If you enjoy spicy, you might find it delicious. But if you don’t and prefer your drinks more on the sweet side, these new refreshers might not be your cup of tea. Either way, everyone should try this drink, just to see what it is like.

Many celebrities and influencers on many social media platforms have tried these new spicy refreshers as well. Janelle Rohner, a TikTok influencer with 5.2 million followers, reviewed this drink and posted it on her TikTok account, Janelle Rohner tasting the Spicy Pineapple Refresher. She ordered the tall spicy pineapple refresher. Rohner states that she thinks the drink is very good,

“Actually, this is delicious”

— Janelle Rohner

She then goes on to try and make her own spicy refresher at home.

Seen from many other people’s views, and videos posted on social media, this drink seems very controversial. Many people enjoy it and would get it again. Other people, including me, would not get it again. Anyone could end up finding themselves a new go-to at their local Starbucks, for the time that the drink is released.