Not-So-Cute Show Sports Cute Name

Review of the horrifying true story of “Baby Reindeer”
The official “Baby Reindeer” Netflix poster.
IMDb

“Baby Reindeer,” the new Netflix Original, has taken the world by storm. Released on April 11, the biographical-drama miniseries has become popular, trending on social media platforms such as TikTok and X. Starring in this show is Richard Gadd, who plays himself in the horrifying true story. 

The characters take different names in Netflix’s special than in real life, with Gadd becoming Donny Dunn. It follows Donny in his career as a small-time comedian at a bar, who works as the bartender there on the side. He lives an ordinary life for the mosy part, until the day a woman walks into the bar, looking dejected and painfully sad. 

She sits down, and Richard gently informs her that she needs to buy something to stay there. That’s when she admits she can’t afford anything, not even a cup of tea. Richard takes pity on her, and, when no one is looking, he offers her a drink on the house. Unbeknownst to him, this becomes the start of a seemingly never-ending nightmare. 

Martha, the name of the woman, begins repeatedly showing up at Donny’s workplace. Every day she dresses up and talks about every detail of her life, although it’s obvious most of her tales are exaggerated, and every day Donny gives her a drink on the house. At first, Martha’s infatuation with Donny seems harmless, but it quickly turns out of control. Martha begins following Donny not only to work but to his own home. She even stalks him on social media. No matter what Donny does, she doesn’t seem to go away. 

Throughout the show, Donny has to deal with Martha’s outbursts and her stalking, as she affects his life and his relationships with those around him. He develops a toxic and codependent relationship with her and spirals into hopelessness and feelings of pity and self-loathing. Among it all, Martha’s strange yet endearing nickname for him rings in his head: “baby reindeer.” 

“Baby Reindeer” is not a show that can be taken lightheartedly. It wouldn’t pair well with those who are sensitive, as it deals with many heavy topics and themes. It can be hard to digest, and although it is done remarkably well, it can be hard to get through. I would not suggest this show to anyone who has ever dealt with trauma surrounding stalkers or abuse, or anyone who leans more toward light-hearted content. 

Although a hard watch, the performances made by the actors were remarkable. Their characters felt real (which makes sense since the main character is played by himself), and every scene with the actors feels like you’re right there with them. This is part of why the show is so raw and painful. Often, when a show or movie is based on a true story, it can be easy to disregard it as ‘just from a movie’ or not think of it too seriously. For “Baby Reindeer” though, it’s hard to do the same. 

Said heavy topics in the show were also dealt with well. Substance abuse and sexual abuse can often be misrepresented in media, but the writers and directors did a good job of portraying the horrors of these kinds of abuse. Along with this, the lighting, music, and editing set a creepy mood that contributed to this. “Baby Reindeer” did not glorify any of it, but instead showed its viewers how serious and terrible the issues are. 

Overall, the show was received well, with an 83% audience score and 98% on Rotten Tomatoes. Fans of the show and those who feel heartbreak for Gadd have even done further digging into his story, discovering the true identity of Martha. Allegedly Fiona Harvey is who Martha was based off of, and as of now, she runs free. Because of “Baby Reindeer” viewers discovering her, Harvey is contemplating legal action against Netflix and Gadd. Though the future of Harvey’s lawsuit is unknown, one thing is certain. The public stands with Gadd, as his story is an important one that deserves to be heard.