Running for a Reason: Kinnelon Education Association 5K Set for April 29

Event logo courtesy of www.runsignup.com

The idea of Kinnelon Road packed with cars may elicit nightmares of the morning parking lot situation for most KHS students; but once a year, it is instead packed with runners, walkers, spectators, and volunteers of the KEA Pot of Gold 5k.

Kinnelon Education Association is hosting the ninth annual Pot of Gold 5k on Sun., April 28 at 9 a.m. at KHS.

The proceeds for the 5K go to one graduating Kinnelon senior in the form of a scholarship. For those who are not inclined to run a full 3.2 miles, there is also a one-mile Fun Run at 8:15 a.m.; and even then, there is no rush, and walking at any pace is encouraged.

While there are medals for top runners of different age groups, the emphasis of this event is on the fun and philanthropic aspects. Co-chair Alana Van Der Sluys  explains that the event is “more of a community thing than anything else.” She also emphasized that were will be food, free t-shirts and goodies, as well as music provided by Board of Education President Jason DeAlessi.

Even the last person across the finish line can be a winner; Van Der Sluys and fellow co-chairs, Dr. Wendy Bruffy and Kristen Winner, will be raffling off gift cards from New York Sports Club, Boca Bowls, Spazio Nail and Spa, Blu Ale House and many more local establishments.

This year, there is a new race category, fastest team, and students are encouraged to get friends, family or anyone to be teammates to walk and run together. The point of the run is to bring together students, citizens of Kinnelon, and anyone who wants to partake in the fun for a healthy day that ultimately helps the town.

Those interested in attending the event should visit www.runsignup.com/kea5k.