How coronavirus is affecting the MLB

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to grow exponentially, the MLB seems to be taking the ‘hardest hit’ from this event, which could in turn lead to the first cancellation in over 25 years.
Major League Baseball logo, one of the many leagues at crossroads due to this pandemic.
Jerry Dior

As the number of cases of COVID-19 around the globe has skyrocketed, officials of many major sports leagues, including Major League Baseball, have postponed league plays indefinitely. 

The latest news on the popular American sport is that the executives of Major League Baseball are considering making players play in minor league ballfields in Arizona without an audience. That way, the spread of the coronavirus would be less of an issue, because it could not be spread between those in attendance, and people at home would have a way to remain entertained during the outbreak.

Many well-known baseball players have donated large checks to foundations, assisting in the efforts to cease the coronavirus eruption. Justin Verlander, the all-star pitcher of the Houston Astros, has been donating checks from his salary to the relief efforts for the Coronavirus first responders and hospitals. 

Aaron Boone, manager of the New York Yankees, has been frustrated regarding the suspension of baseball amid the coronavirus epidemic.

“In my selfish, bubble mode, this is the time of the year when you’re getting ready to start the season and we have all those personal interactions, and that’s all gone. That’s the frustrating part of it, professionally and selfishly,” Boone said.

The issue that league officials and team owners face is that they wish to continue providing fans with a much-needed escape from the suffering of the pandemic, yet they also must look out for the well-being of players and fans alike.