How Teachers are Handling COVID-19

Teachers of all grades and subjects at KHS are grappling with this unprecedented year differently
Photo courtesy of Andy Falconer through Unsplash
Students eat lunch at a safe distance to avoid the potential transmission of COVID-19.

“‘Frustrating’ is the word that comes to mind first,” science teacher John Manning says, “but ‘informative’ is the word that sticks….There’s no doubt that this new normal has been hard.”

Many teachers and students have approached the new year with anticipation and excitement, as the school year promised a dose of a return to normality, but KHS and schools around the nation have had to make drastic changes due to COVID-19 and take extra precautions to ensure the safety of everyone. These times have been difficult for everyone, but it is hard to know just how great of an impact on education these changes have had.

Manning says the biggest obstacle so far has been technological limitations. Not everyone has the best devices and software or the fastest WiFi, making it difficult and time consuming for all students and teachers to stay on the same page.

English teacher Jason DelPiano says that his preferred, animated teaching style has been difficult this school year. Juggling social distancing as well as attending to virtual students, DelPiano says he has had trouble “forging relationships with the kids while we are separated by distance, masks, shields, and computers.” DelPiano goes on to explain the difficulties in balancing virtual and in-person students whilst keeping the class entertaining yet informative.

However, despite troubles with the new normal, there is always a bright side. Math teacher Noah Blanchard is happy to be fully paperless as it is less wasteful and overall better for the environment.

History teacher Danielle Elia even expressed some gratitude, as the new educational format has given her the opportunity to receive feedback and better her plan lessons, allowing classes to run far more smoothly and efficiently. There is no doubt that this year is putting teachers’ creativity to the test as they attempt to cover the same material through a greatly altered medium. 

These times have posed many challenges for both students and teachers, including troubles with technology as well as focusing on equal opportunities and forming bonds with others. Despite these obstacles, students and teachers alike are working to get as much as possible out of the school year.