More than just a game

How the KHS Boys’ Soccer team sticks together on and off the field during unprecedented times.
Photo courtesy of unsplash.com
As the Fall season ramps up to what we now call “normal”, the Boys’ soccer team expects nothing less than success, a valuable goal to set for oneself.

As fall sports begin, many of these extracurricular activities become overshadowed by the packed stands of a “Friday night lights” football game. The overwhelming majority of students become interested in what is most advertised but have yet to acknowledge the bright future ahead of the KHS Boys’ soccer team.

With big aspirations ahead of them, Kinnelon junior and team captain Thomas Osterman gives an early insight for what is to come this season.

“Our big goal for this season is to win our conference championship; I would also say we would like to make a good run at states,” Osterman said. 

No team finds success without a big goal in mind, and by stressing the importance of bringing home a trophy, the Boys’ soccer team has nothing to lose with the majority of the season still ahead of them. 

Now while winning is not everything, Osterman sheds light on the fact that his duty as team captain has no boundaries. “Being captain does not mean just being a leader on the field, but also off the field; it means being someone that others can look to for help, socially, athletically, or academically.”

With a record of 4-13-2 last season, the future of this team is bright, with a young, yet experienced junior class, and the team spirit has always been at an “all-time high.” This team looks at each other as much more than teammates; they envision themselves as a brotherhood.

“A tradition that we do every year is take off a couple of practices in the year, and enjoy a non-soccer related activity, the goal of this is to bond almost like a family,” Osterman said.

While many athletes know the cliche lesson taught in sports, those who dig deep can find the true meaning of sports, which Osterman elaborates on.

“The biggest life lesson that I have learned from soccer is that you can’t win without first knowing what it’s like to lose. If you always win then you’ll never think that you are doing anything wrong,” Osterman said. 

Intelligence, integrity, and respect are the three key components of what a dedicated athlete can take away from participating in a sport. Going beyond the sport, athletes have a special insight into what is learned beyond the basics of performance.