More Than Measurements: Let’s Be Real

Social media only shows a person’s “good” side.

Social media lies. We can all admit that we only post pictures that present positive and joyous moments in our lives and not the bad side or challenges we are facing. The rise of influencers has only increased the use of tools like Photoshop to perfect pictures to make one skinnier, rid pimples, and any other imperfections.

Photoshop allows users to alter an image to make it more appealing to the eye. Although it seems like a convenient remedy for a picture with a hair out of place or makeup smudge, it is dangerous. Children and teenagers are exposed to doctored pictures of people using Photoshop on their bodies to shrink waists, clear acne, and smooth stretch marks to perfection.  

I am here to tell you that perfect IS stretch marks, a bloated belly after eating, and acne. It happens to everyone! It is natural. Photoshop erases all the components we think of as negative but creates unrealistic expectations in the process. We look down on our bodies because we praise unrealistic images.

Birthmarks, stretch marks, pimples, and body hair are all natural and beautiful things. As long as you are happy and healthy, do not let a false social media post in your Instagram feed bring you down! 

Check out the Spotify playlist filled with songs promoting body positivity! Be sure to give it a listen and add some songs that make you feel confident and happy, or just want to dance and feel good in your skin.