The Origin Story behind Thanksgivings Most Sacred Traditions

Alicia Bruce

One of the great things about the holidays is the traditions that come with them. Thanksgiving is no exception. Many people have always been fascinated by the origin stories of old things. So let’s answer the question once and for all, where do the traditions of these so cherished holidays come from? Starting off, of course, with Thanksgiving.

Why is the holiday on a Thursday?

Thursday seems to have evolved first as tradition, then as a matter of national law. Since George Washington’s time, Thursday has been the day, and this was solidified by Abraham Lincoln’s proclamation in 1863 designating the national day of Thanksgiving to be the last Thursday of November.

What’s the story behind the Cornucopia?

One of the most popular decorations for Thanksgiving is the cornucopia, an open basket filled with various foods. It is meant to represent the large harvest that resulted in the first Thanksgiving

Why is Turkey the main part of the meal?

Turkey was the main part of the meal during the first Thanksgiving. It’s stayed like that ever since.

What are the origins of Black Friday and why does it always fall the day after Thanksgiving?

According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), the day after Thanksgiving has been called Black Friday since at least the early 1960s. The explanation typically given for the day’s name is that it is the first day of the year that retailers are in the black as opposed to being in the red. Meaning that they become a lot busier as a result of the upcoming holiday season. 

Why is Thanksgiving in November in The United States, but during other parts of the year in other countries that celebrate it?

In 1789, President George Washington declared Thurs. Nov. 26, as a “Day of Public Thanksgiving,” according to the National Archives. When President Abraham Lincoln made his Thanksgiving proclamation in 1863, the last Thursday of November became standard.

Why is Football Always Played on Thanksgiving?

The concept of American football games being played on Thanksgiving Day dates back to 1876, shortly after the game had been invented, as it was a day that most people had off from work. In that year, the college football teams at Yale and Princeton began an annual tradition of playing each other on Thanksgiving Day.

Why do the Dallas Cowboys always play on Thanksgiving? 

The Cowboys’ tradition of playing on Thanksgiving started when the ex-general manager, Tex Schramm, signed up for the holiday game in 1966. Schramm sought more national publicity and saw Thanksgiving as a way to boost national attention from football fans in and out of Dallas.

Kane Brown

It all started on Thanksgiving Day in 1934 when owner George A. Richards decided to play on the holiday to attract more fans. Richards was known for his marketing acumen, and his Thanksgiving plan was an immediate hit. Since 1978, the Lions have hosted a game on Thanksgiving every year.