Will the ball drop in Times Square this New Years?

The long-standing tradition of a ball drop in New York City will not happen due to the pandemic, but people are still finding ways celebrate.
Courtesy of Unsplash
Someone filming the iconic New York City ball drop.

As we get closer and closer to the holidays, America questions whether yearly occurrences will adhere to tradition or simply not happen during this doubtful year. Many traditional events are left undetermined. 

Each year in Times Square, New York, the occasion of the ball dropping to bring in the new year is taken to an extreme. 

Americans think of a redo when a new year begins. What better way to celebrate such an occasion than to stand outside in the illuminated streets of New York or celebrate with family and friends at home. 

For America, this tradition will forever be a memorable one. Because people have the opportunity to enjoy the company of loved ones and experience a pleasurable time with great food and activities, New Years is quite a celebration. 

Due to the COVID-19 outbreak that occurred in early 2020, unfortunately, it is safe to say that a New Year’s celebration in New York will not pertain to those who are willing to stand in the cold with party hats. This year’s ball drop will be condemned solely to live television. 

Health officials ultimately ruled that it’s unsafe to have as many as hundreds of thousands of people pack the streets of Times Square. With no one being able to social distance, it is recommended to stay at home and celebrate. 

“One thing that will never change is the ticking of time and the arrival of a New Year at midnight on Dec. 31,” said Tim Tompkins,  president of the Times Square Alliance, to Parade.com. Fortunately, the ball will be dropped this year and every other year no matter the circumstance. 

Although this outcome may be spirit-dampening, at least this year will be celebrated a little less dimly due to the continuation of the ball drop.

Sophomore Annika Vazquez said, “I am probably going to hang out with a few close friends as I think it would be incredibly selfish and ignorant to attend a large party given the current circumstances.” 

Many people have plans to celebrate at home with a few loved ones and nothing more. The best way to bring in a new year is with the people one loves the most. 

For safety measures, it’s best to stay at home and bring in the New Year while watching the ball drop live on television.