Guidelines and Procedures for the 2021 NBA Season

How NBA Commissioner Adam Silver is handling COVID-19 in a year like no other.
An+exclusive+KHS+survey+was+conducted+to+reveal+how+students+feel+about+the+NBA+season.+
An exclusive KHS survey was conducted to reveal how students feel about the NBA season.

The NBA season is officially underway. Despite COVID-19 scares, the NBA season started on its scheduled date of Dec. 22. For this season, Commissioner Adam Silver has stated that he will ensure player safety this year. 

Before the season, the NBA released a series of guidelines, procedures, and protocols. If a player were to test positive, the player would have two ways to re-enter team activities. One way is to quarantine for 10 days after the initial positive test or 10 days after their last day of symptoms. The second is to have two negative tests 24 hours apart. However, there are still ways a player can be put into quarantine without contracting COVID-19.

For example, Center Jonas Valaciunas of the Memphis Grizzlies was deemed high risk on January 17. Which led to him missing a series of games before he could clear league protocols. 

Some students are very concerned about the health and safety of the players. “All I want is for players to stay safe. If that means they have to stop the season, they should do so. I look forward to watching this season and seeing how it unfolds,” says freshman Jordan Doty.

A poll was conducted via Instagram. The poll took place on Jan. 17 and was up for a total of 24 hours. During that 24 hour period, a total of 40 students voted. The results came out to be 50% to 50%.

After a series of games were canceled, some analysts were predicting a pause in the season.  In an interview with CNBC, NBA Spokesman Mike Bass had a series of email conversations expressing concern on the season. Bass said: “We anticipated that there would be game postponements this season and planned the schedule accordingly. There are no plans to pause the season, and we will continue to be guided by our medical experts and health and safety protocols.” 

Despite the reassurance of a continuous season, there are still people in doubt. “I hope the season can continue without too many pauses, but I have a feeling it will get suspended at some point,” says Mekayel Raza.

A question that will be brought up this year is: Will the NBA go back into playing in a bubble? Should COVID-19 get too bad, it is not out of the realm of possibility? However, some are very confident in their opinions. According to freshman Riley Macmanus: “The NBA will go back into the bubble once the postseason starts. There is no doubt in my mind.” 

It is safe to say that the 2021 season will bring many uncertainties and tough decisions. The season could get suspended or it can continue without stops. Player safety is the NBA’s number one priority. Protocols are always subject to change and Adam Silver will continue to work with health officials to make the NBA as safe as it can be.