How do we Stop Racism?

Plenty of people talk about the issue itself, but nobody talks about how to fix it.

Editor’s Note: The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in this opinion article belong solely to the author and do not reflect the view of The Colt Chronicle Staff, Kinnelon High School, or its students and staff members. 

How do we end racism? It is such a simple yet consequential question and one that sooner or later, we as a society, even if we are too scared too, will have to answer. Ending racism won’t be a smooth process and will take some sacrifices from both major ethnic groups in America. However, the quicker we begin the process, the quicker, we as a country and as a society will heal. 

So what does the process of ending racism entail? There are three main points: one, have both sides (whites and African Americans) become more empathetic, two, change the way we teach younger generations about racism in America, and three, stop making things diverse for the sake of it. 

Point one, making both sides more empathetic. Have whites understand and acknowledge that blacks have been historically oppressed and desire freedom and equality, and have blacks realize that just because they are black, they are not immune from law enforcement. Doing this should help in stopping the racial divide and help in starting making societal issues about humanity, and society, not a race.

Point two, changing the way we teach younger generations. Remember the Orlando nightclub and Las Vegas strip mass shootings? How gun rights became a huge issue in the aftermath of both events? Notice how now that no one talks about these events, gun rights are currently not an issue in the United States. The same thing can be applied to race. If we don’t teach the younger generations, say ages 4 to 12 about racism, they will never know that it existed and that there has been a divide between races throughout American history. Doing this will make them see both races in an equal light, and will not instill the ideas of white supremacy (as current teachings do) from a young age. 

Point three, not having diversity for the sake of diversity. For the first time in American history, the white house press team is made up of all women. I have no problem with this if the women are qualified, but I can’t help but feel that they only got the job because they are women. This trend does not stop with President Biden’s press team but extends through his whole cabinet. However, I can’t help but feel that Biden made his cabinet diverse, just because he could. All this does is shove the issue of racism and sexism down the American people’s throats, and does nothing to stop the issue, but simply makes it worse.

Racial tensions are at an all-time high in America right now. While a lot of people are protesting racial inequality, no one is actually talking about how we solve the issue at hand. If we, as a society, take the simple steps of increasing empathy from both sides, changing the way we teach our young kids about the issue, and stop making things diverse for the sake of it, then a lot of our societal issues in America will go away. It won’t be easy, and it won’t be quick, but the sooner we start the process, the sooner we will have the America we all know and love back, one country for all.