EndSARS Protest

The people of Nigeria have been fighting an ongoing battle with their government since 2017 to end a brutal police organization called the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (or SARS). This protest has expanded to include reforming the police and ending bad governance.
Photo by Tobi Oshinnaike on Unsplash. Nigerian Citizens holding up a #ENDSARSNOW Poster

Young people all around Nigeria are advocating for the disassembly of the group SARS due to the violence, harassment, and extortion that citizens are subjected to. There are no restrictions for SARS officers, which allows them to be as corrupt as they want. 

SARS started in 1992 as a way to fight off armed robbers, but over time turned into a corrupt system that benefits off the vulnerability of the people. What’s worse is there is no mandate stating that the officers need to wear identification or nametags, so virtually anyone can pose as a SARS officer. This is dangerous because anyone with bad intentions can pose as an officer trying to help, and take advantage of an unsuspecting person. 

SARS has been considered so cruel that human rights organizations have published reports detailing just how badly the people in custody were treated. I am glad that this movement which began around 2017 has finally picked up traction. The citizens of Nigeria deserve a better system of safety: One that serves to help them rather than harm. 

With the help of various social media sites including Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter, the message has been spread to a wider audience.