The Silver Screen’s Lessons on Consent

TV shows that deal with the issue of sexual harassment and the importance of respecting men and women’s rights of consent.

Important To Know

**TW**: This article discusses details of sexual harassment and rape. It also includes details on mental health, suicide, and suicide ideation.

Sexual harassment has always been a huge and important issue, but it’s being brought up a lot more recently due to recent affairs, including New York’s Governor Cuomo being accused of sexual harassment and assault, and the assault and murder of a woman named Sarah Everrard from the UK. Currently, the main issue in the UK is that the police are sexually assaulting women. As a result, there has been a curfew set because of men sexually harassing women which says that women aren’t allowed out past 9:00 pm. It’s also important to note that the number of sexual harassment amongst women is 97% and counting, and it is absolutely baffling and hard to digest. Here are a few shows that deal with and discuss the issue of sexual harassment the best. One last thing that should be very well known by now is that sexual harassment is any form of touching, kissing, or forcing oneself on someone without their consent. It’s asking for nudes, unsolicited pictures from someone else, being followed or cat-called, and sexual comments about clothing, or being begged for sexual activity.

Thirteen Reasons Why

As the show starts, we find that Hannah Baker, a secondary school student, has ended her life and abandoned a progression of tapes; one committed to every individual that she feels contributed to why she settled on that choice. The show’s tension keeps us as eager and anxious as can be, as we tensely hang tight for Clay, the primary character and Hannah’s companion, to get done with tuning in to the entirety of Hannah’s tapes. The show’s life-like secondary school dramatization pulls us in and makes us need to look as we see each character approach comparable secondary school difficulties, such as making companions and going to get-togethers. Notwithstanding, the likenesses don’t stop there. The crowd gradually finds alongside Clay, the terrible things that each character has encountered, and the decisions they’ve made. Thirteen Reasons Why reveals a cruel insight into the truth of adolescent life, and it presents themes that should be frantically examined like psychological well-being and rape.

Each of Hannah’s tapes holds the subtleties of a progression of occasions that happen all through her sophomore and junior years in secondary school. These occasions assume a significant part in her ceaseless fight with emotional well-being. The principal tape manages first dates and lewd behavior. When moving to another school toward the start of her sophomore year, Hannah experiences a kid named Justin, who charms her and asks her out. After their first date, Justin’s friend takes his cell phone and sends the entire school an up-skirt photograph of Hannah going down the slide at the jungle gym they had hung out at (taken outside the current discussion to look improper).

As the tapes progress, we see a sequence of more occasions of heightening sexual tension, from the up-skirt photograph, to a date where the boy takes advantage of Hannah without consent, and where she is being stalked by Tyler Down. We watch the outcomes of this viciousness rise as Hannah is more than once grabbed, called unfavorable names like ‘skank’ and ‘prostitute’, and loses her friends because of frivolous bits of gossip about her sexual history. In the wake of seeing the assault of one of her previous companions, Jessica, Hannah is then assaulted herself.