From Your Car to the Stage: Drive-In Concerts

A new form of live music that is taking over the industry.
Lukas Kabon
An image of a drive-in concert being performed with a sold out cloud provided by Getty Image’s Lukas Kabon.

Harmonizing with strangers while swaying back and forth to the tunes of your favorite bands and musicians is an experience that no one has been able to witness or be a part of for more than a year. At-home concerts have become a “new normal” for the world of music, and although they are keeping musicians active, the joy of live concerts has not yet been restored. As things are starting to return to a new kind of normal, hopes for safe, live concerts are high. 

I crave the frenetic energy, the roar of the crowd, the spectacle of it all. Heck, even the idea of nursing a lukewarm can of $8 Bud Light on the muddy PNC Bank Arts Center lawn,” Bobby Olivier, a writer for True Jersey NJ.com, states,“Surrounded by the insufferable bro-country crowd is enough for me to consider forking over my stimulus check.”

The loss of music has clearly had an effect on those so invested in it, but now things may slowly be improving. After a year of lost live music, depending on where you live, concerts may be inching closer to kicking back up again. Perhaps not to the extent of what they once were, but new forms of concerts are being explored nowadays. For instance, drive-in concerts have made appearances across the country. 

One of the first major stars to take part in this trend, Keith Urban performed a drive-in concert in Los Angeles which sparked a great deal of other artists to give this new form of music a chance. Artists such as Sublime, Jason Isabell, Third Eye Blind, Snoop Dogg, Blake Shelton, and the Avett Brothers all have either performed or have performances scheduled for drive-in concerts this upcoming summer. The summer is a time in which outdoor concerts thrive and, given the circumstances, the joy of live concerts may finally be restored. Not only do drive-in concerts give fans the opportunity to be in the presence of their favorite artists once again, but they can help regulate and promote tours for artists who have sat at home for the past year writing new music. Will this be what live music holds for us in the foreseeable future?