Johnny Depp and Amber Heard Court Case

Pirates of the Caribbean actor, Johnny Depp, is currently suing Aquaman actress, Amber Heard, for defamation.  TW: this article contains mentions of abuse
Depp-Heard
People Magazine

In 2018, Amber Heard wrote an op-ed for the Washington Post, where she called herself a domestic abuse survivor. 

Heard never used Johnny Depp’s name in the op-ed, but now Depp is suing Heard for defamation. He is suing her for $500 million in damages, and in return Heard is also suing Depp for $100 million since he is not dropping the lawsuit. Depp’s lawyer had called Heard’s domestic abuse allegations “fake.” In the initial ruling, the judge sided with Heard. Even though Depp and his attorney implied that Heard perjured herself back in 2016 about domestic abuse when she was trying to file a restraining order against Depp, the judge said that, in today’s society, lying about domestic abuse could damage Heard’s reputation.

Now, Depp and Heard will be fighting it out in another courtroom in Virginia in April of 2022. The original date was May 7, 2021, but Depp kept pushing the date back because of his Fantastic Beasts 3 shooting schedule. However, Depp’s lawyers in the UK are anticipating an oral hearing in March so they can attempt to appeal their loss in the actor’s libel suit against The Sun tabloid, in which they called Depp “a wife beater.”

Much of the case is still unclear, and many do not know whether or not Heard’s allegations are true. Unfortunately, if they are true, Heard will have to wait till April of 2022 to hopefully get the justice she deserves.