Rising Star Tomas Ospina: Actor, Documentary Subject, and Musician

Nathan Shurts (left) with Tomas Ospina (right).

Listening as Tomas Ospina speaks, it’s easy to see how widespread his interests are. In his interview he spoke on music, acting, writing, working minimum wage, and even law. After seeing his incredible comedic performance in the fall play and hearing about his involvement in a documentary about his life, it only made sense to deep dive into Ospina’s catalog of career paths. Now having been in three of the high school plays so far and practicing for the fourth, Ospina said “it’s exciting to work on my singing as well as my ability to perform publicly.”

When asked about Ospina, one of his good friends Manu Soriano said “it’s always been exciting to see him onstage. We all come out to the play to see his performance.”

As well as being a performer, Ospina is currently the subject of a documentary about his life for the Colts for Kids Club. Documentarian Everett Feinhals said: “It’s exciting to learn and teach the documentary process as well as learn about and just be around Tomas more.” The documentary is being made to show off different forms of nonfiction for the eighth-grade English class.

Tomas Ospina has further tricks up his sleeve as he is playing and learning guitar as well as being a state-ranked tenor for the choir class. When asked about his musical pursuits, he said that he “loves music” and goes on to say that “I’ve been playing guitar for a little bit and am even getting some gigs over the summer to sing down the shore, small stuff but still.”

The hardest part of art isn’t the work. It’s putting it out there.”

— Tomas Ospina

As for original music and his plans for it, he said: “I’m interested in making my own music, I just need to find the right place and time to start.”

Even with all these talents under his belt, Tomas is still purely interested in becoming a lawyer when he grows up. “I love the law,” he says, “and I’m interested in becoming a public defender to protect innocent people.” If anything, Tomas is a hard worker. As his friends can attest, he is always practicing the guitar, or his lines, or studying for tests. For Tomas, hard work is the only answer.