Wanna Play A Game? Movie Review: Saw X

A (no spoiler) review on the latest installment of “Saw”
“Saw X” Promo Photo: “Saw X” Official Website

The entertainment industry is filled with horror franchises that have lost their originality and edge, however, “Saw X” emerges as a breath of fresh air. The latest installment in the iconic horror series not only keeps the gruesome traps and edge-of-your-seat tension intact but also manages to deliver a compelling narrative that engages the audience fully from start to finish. “Saw X” is available to premiere in movies from September 29 to November 16 and will be available for streaming on an undecided date. “Saw X” is a must-watch for fans of the franchise and new viewers, and this review will cover that, without the spoilers. 

One of the standout elements of “Saw X” is its commitment to emphasize the legacy of the series while evolving with the times. Directed by Kevin Greutert, the film uses a level of sophistication that elevates it beyond the series past films in the sense of the realistic gore. While the traps are as horrifyingly creative as ever, they are merely a facade to the true horror of the film: exploring the depths of human psychology and morality. Jigsaw’s ideology remains the same as it has in the previous 9 films of the franchise; his traps serve as an opportunity for his victims to reform their sins and eventually, if they pass, be grateful and turn into better people. “Saw X”takes this same ideology, but this time the games are personal.

In an interview with Mayhem Mendes, Tobin Bell (Jigsaw) stated, “What interests me about him (Jigsaw) is that he is interested in many, many, many things from the point of view of philosophy and theology. He’s extremely well read, very intelligent and very committed unlike many of us who look around us and complain about the world or some aspect of the world but do nothing. It is entirely my job to flush him out so people can be on his side and to draw audiences into his thought process.”

The eyeball vacuum trap
(FANGORIA)

The casting choices in “Saw X” is a combination of nostalgic returning members, and fresh dynamic new members. Tobin Bell reprises his role as John Kramer/Jigsaw, and his performance is both diligent and captivating. Newcomer Synnøve Macody Lund, who plays Switzerland doctor Cecilia Pederson, adds a compelling intensity to the story, and a new villain. The supporting cast, which mostly consists  also delivers performances that help bring the characters to life. 

The screenplay, written by Josh Stolberg and Peter Goldfinger, weaves together multiple plotlines with precision, keeping the audience guessing until the very end. The film delves deeper into the mythology of the Jigsaw, offering a very satisfying blend of answers to long-standing questions and new mysteries to ponder. The questions that remain from previous films in the regards of theories as to why John Kramer is still alive, and how Amanda Young (Shawnee Smith) will recover his legacy, will be answered. The narrative is efficient, with each scene contributing to the overall story, making it a well-paced and engaging experience.

Drawing depicting a frightened woman watching the horror movie “Saw X” (Zoe Neves)

One of the aspects that make “Saw X” a standout entry in the franchise is its visual style. Nick Matthews has created a dark yet stunning world that feels both familiar and fresh. The dark, atmospheric cinematography adds to the sense of dread, while the use of practical effects for the traps adds realism that is both disturbing and impressive.

“Saw X” is an amazing return for the franchise, combining the gruesome traps and violence horror fans love with a well-crafted narrative and outstanding performances. It manages to evolve the series while staying true to its roots, making it a must-see for fans and an excellent entry point for newcomers. Without giving away any spoilers, it’s safe to say that “Saw X” is a thrilling rollercoaster of a movie that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the credits roll. Do not miss this cinematic delight!