KJSU’s back and ready to win

How KJSU prepares to have another great season
+KJSU+released+their+schedule+for+the+season.+This+includes+the+date+and+location.
KJSU hockey teams Instagram
KJSU released their schedule for the season. This includes the date and location.

After a great season last year, KJSU hockey is back and better than ever. Their practices started on Nov. 20 senior Logan Winslow (#14) says, “Practices are going well with lots of competitiveness and skill being shown early on”.

In past years, the hockey team has had some rough seasons, but after turning it around in the 2022 season, they are left with a lot of confidence for this coming one. “Yes, our performance last year definitely gives us more confidence for our season this year. The cup game is going to stick with us though, as that was a tough loss. I think it will motivate us more to do better.” said sophomore Alex Roslan (#15).

Winslow responded, “It gives us confidence but also lets us know we have a target on our back, teams are going to take us more seriously,” when asked about their performance the previous season. 

One thing that will impact the team this season is the loss of so many seniors. “It affects our depth because while our first 2 forward and defense lines are experienced varsity players, the rest of our team is mostly freshman/sophomore players who are going to have to step up this year,” said Winslow. 

Practices with the team have been good so far even though they are still learning how to work together as a team. “There is definitely a strong connection with the team right now. Everyone is friendly in the locker room and as the season progresses, the bond will increase” said Roslan. 

The first game of the season was on Nov. 29th against Glen Rock. They started the game off strong and were up 2-0 then, after getting tied 2-2. Glen Rock scored, bringing the count to 2-3. Then, with 30 seconds left, they scored another point bringing the final score to 3-3.

Although this wasn’t the greatest start to the season, the team is still confident and will continue to work hard. The team’s biggest supporter and JV defensive player junior Thomas Kosco (#25) says,  “We plan to have a great season and make it even farther than we did last year.” To learn more about the KJSU hockey team visit this link.