The CookieMeter

Save your appetite and grab a bite…because we have everything and anything there is to grade, criticize, and rank about cookies
Pillsbury chocolate chip cookies
Millie Cho
Pillsbury chocolate chip cookies

Baking cookies from scratch can be a struggle. Measuring ingredients, chilling to the right temperatures, and cleaning up the mess are all classic elements of the baking experience. However, these problems can all be solved through one,

simple, solution – premade cookie dough. We bought and made four major premade cookie brands to critique. Let’s put their cookies to the test.

1. Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Trader Joe’s is known for making delicious and healthy products, so we expected a lot from these gluten-free cookies. However, because they are gluten-free, these cookies had a few issues. The number one issue was the texture. We like our cookies a little crispy and a bit chewy, but no matter how much we let these cookies set, they were too soft and maintained a cake-like texture. Although the taste was good for a gluten-free cookie, we found it to be missing a little sweetness, and there was almost too much chocolate. Despite all of the cons, it came with 16 ounces of cookie dough, and the packaging was rustic but kept the typical Trader Joe’s fashion. Overall, we rated this a 2.3/5 on the Cookiemeter. 

1. Ben & Jerry’s Cookie Dough Ice Cream

Ben & Jerry’s is typically an ice cream brand, with ice cream shops around the nation and about 100 different flavors of ice cream offered in supermarkets. So they dropped a cookie dough we expected the best, however, Ben & Jerry’s stuck to their typical ice cream format instead of actual cookie dough. The dough was thick and barely qualified as a cookie dough. It tasted more like vanilla ice cream than anything else. However it was still delicious, every ingredient was balanced perfectly. Due to the fact this “cookie dough” didn’t qualify as one, but was still delicious, we rate it 2.7/5 on the Cookiemeter.

I love when a cookie tastes like a cookie

— Sabrina Lopez

1. Pillsbury Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

The Pillsbury cookie dough came with 16 ounces, slightly less than the Nestle Tollhouse. The flavor of the raw cookie dough was similar to Nestle’s, although it was perfectly sweet and smoother in texture. When baked, the cookie had crispy edges and a middle that melted in your mouth, but somehow became sweeter through the baking process. It was hard to eat more than one or two of the cookies. Another downside to this brand was the chocolate chip distribution. We found that there would be an overwhelming amount of chocolate chips in a few cookies, but little to none in another cookie. Sometimes, the cookies would all be grouped on one side, which showed very clearly after baking. Although the packaging was not as appealing as Nestle’s, the light blue color and the Pillsbury mascot were too cute to turn down. We rate this as a 4.3 out of 5 on the Cookiemeter.

1. Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Our expectations were high for the Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie dough, and they were just under what we expected. The package came with 16 ½ ounces of cookie dough, split into 12 large pieces. Though the packaging itself was not the most appealing, … The pieces pulled apart beautifully, but the taste was overwhelmingly sweet in the raw cookie dough, with a slightly grainy texture. The chocolate chip distribution was outstanding throughout the dough, with every cookie containing around 25 chocolate chips. There were also different kinds of chocolate chips, and the dough and the chocolate chips balanced out perfectly when baked. Overall, we rate this brand a 4.5 out of 5 on the Cookiemeter, just above Pillsbury Dough Boy.

If you’re looking for what pre-made cookies would be best if home-made cookies aren’t your style than look to the Cookiemeters No1 pre-made cookie brand, Nestle Toll House.

Exaggerated Cookiemeter drawn by (Millie Cho)