What Is Your Natural High?

The Give Back Club asks “what is your Natural High?” in an attempt to prevent drug and substance use.
Kristina Haviland
Infographic on teen drug use

Drug and substance use in adolescents has been a growing issue considerably throughout the past decade. With the rise in mental health issues among teenagers, many resort to unhealthy habits and coping mechanisms. As a result, the Give Back Club has been encouraging students to discover their “Natural High” in order to prevent such use of addictive substances.

Give Back Club members were encouraged to show their own Natural High and submit photos for the school and community to view. 

Club Co-Advisor Danielle Wysocki says, “A Natural High represents an activity or hobby a person does that gives them a feeling of relief and happiness.” 

Co-Advisor Danielle Elia said, “The Natural High project is a nice way to visualize the positive choices our students make to stay healthy.” 

ABC News says that 9 out of 10 addicts begin using substances before 18 years of age. This shocking statistic reveals the importance of steering students away from drugs.

“Many teens turn to substances to get them through stressful times. Natural High encourages teens to develop coping skills through positive outlets which would hopefully deter one from turning to drugs and alcohol,” says Club president, Michael Koutsokoumnis. 

Research shows that when young people find their true passions, those activities that uplift, motivate, and inspire them, and are supported in these choices by family, friends, school and community, they are more likely to avoid drugs and alcohol. 

“The single most effective protective factor for helping youth thrive and lowering addiction risk is to inspire them to identify and pursue their Natural High,” says Wysocki. 

Sophomore and member of the club Deema Khasashina’s natural high includes, “Cheer, listening to music, looking through my interests on social media, drawing, being with my friends, all help me feel happier and less stressed.” 

In addition, sophomore Madison Maher natural high includes dancing as it “really helps me decompress,” says sophomore Madison Maher. “I think it is important for teens to have an outlet to express themselves and take their mind off of things instead of using unhealthy ways of coping.” 

Koutsokoumnis says, “My natural high is bike riding. I feel a sense of peace and tranquility as it allows me to meditate and organize my thoughts.”

The club advisors and members both enjoy the activity as it helps others but also helps themselves dive deep into their own interests. “It’s one thing to talk about a topic, it’s another to see what people are involved in. I love doing this service because you always learn something new about people you know,” says Elia. 

The club has proven it is essential to have a Natural High in prevention of drug and substance use. 

“It is a form of self care. We learn that we have the power within us to cope with challenges and make positive changes in our life,” says Koustokoumnis.