KHS Student-Athletes Have Settled Into their Seasons as Spring Sports Officially Begin

The lacrosse team huddles up before the game.
Sam Mortimer

The KHS girls’ lax team cannot wait to get back on the field this spring

KINNELON, NJ. — The Kinnelon Colts Girls Lacrosse team is filled with anticipation for the season ahead. Their first official practice is March 14, but they have spent some of the winter training during the offseason. The Colts are now preparing to gear up for the games beginning this April.

During a brief interview, senior Captain Sam Mortimer spoke of their upcoming wall ball and speed tests with enthusiasm, eager to get this season going yet bittersweet because it will be her last at KHS. Junior Lyla Tanis is also very excited for the season to come. She mentioned the captain’s practices being led by Mortimer where speed and agility were being worked on. Tanis also anticipated stepping back onto the field after sitting out last season due to injury.

Also exciting for the returning Colts is a new coach this season, John Mortimer!

The KHS student track athletes are looking at a great season ahead

KINNELON, NJ. — As the weather warms up and the days get brighter, the student-athletes at KHS are gearing up for this coming track season. The season’s practices officially begin on March 14 and will carry through spring break and the rest of the year. The team’s dedication is very apparent, with practices taking place 6 days a week.

What senior Jordan Doty finds especially exciting about this sport is the social aspect of the meets. Earlier this week she said, “ I can’t wait to go to all of the meets, it’s always a good time – especially because I get to make new friends there from other schools.”

Spring sports start this week – many seniors are struggling to balance their busy schedules

KINNELON, NJ. — For most seniors at KHS, it goes without saying that schedules can get pretty busy especially with the end of the year approaching. As the spring sports season begins, practices, games, and meets bring about excitement and stress for many students.

In an interview with senior Leyla Yildiz who runs spring track, she said, “It gets to be difficult and overwhelming when it comes to balancing work, track, school, and friends. Even though I love the sport, choosing what to prioritize is difficult, especially with it being senior year.”
Many seniors feel the same, still dedicating time to their sport but struggling to keep up with school assignments, working after school, and still making time for friends.

The KGolf team has excitedly gotten back into the swing of things for this season

KINNELON, NJ. — As late March approaches, all spring sports are officially in season. With that, the KHS golf team has begun perfecting their swings for the season ahead. When practicing, the Colts head over to the range at Willowbrook. Their home course is the Berkshire Valley Golf Course in Oak Ridge, where the Colts have taken home many wins in the past. For this season, they hope to keep up a winning streak.

Senior Evan Relovsky said, “I am excited to hang out with my friends, especially because golf is a lifelong sport.” Relovsky, along with the rest of the team, are eagerly anticipating the season ahead as they practice the popular sport and make lasting memories with fellow students.