Feedback, Laid Back!

Members of the Feedback Club at KHS share their experiences of being a part of the club.
Kristina Haviland
Art by Emily Ott, a member of the club.

Shaky hands, trembling voice, the student pushes in her chair and stands up to the audience of her English class. The stares from around her burn like fire, as she takes in her last breath of silence. It was time to spill out her thoughts and unleash what she’s been working on. Hoping to be accepted, in a non-judgemental and safe environment, she begins reading her words in the silent classroom.

English class may be a nerve wracking experience when asked to read aloud, but the Feedback Club provides a safe and welcoming environment to those who choose to share what they’ve created. The creative art club includes all kinds of artists, those who share through writing, as well as those who excel in art. Poets, storytellers, sculpture artists, painters, and digital artists, all belong in the club, making it a well-rounded, diverse, community.

Advisor and English teacher John Penola says, “The club started out as a Literary Arts Magazine when it was run by Mrs. [Jacqueline] Castro, but when I took over, I morphed it into a more casual club where students just got together to create and share work.”

Senior Katie Nieto has been a part of the Feedback Club since her freshman year. She originally joined the club because the upperclassmen always raved about it, but in joining, she became really close with the people she met. Nieto said, “We all had different perspectives and experiences when it came to the prompts we were given, but we were unified by a common passion for art and creative expression.”

As a songwriter and poet, Nieto loves sharing her writing. She says, “I like to share poetry the most because I’m not all too great of a visual artist, but I love seeing people share all sorts of different things!”

A similar experience occurred with junior Shea Porada. She joined her sophomore year, initially because she heard about it from other people, specifically in her Creative Writing class. Porada says, “I love sharing my poetry. It’s a breath of fresh air when I share my work when we meet. I am always connected to my writing, and I appreciate when other people are there to listen.”

Sophomore Liora Shuster joined only this year but has loved her decision ever since. She says, “I love listening to other people’s poems and seeing their art, it inspires me a lot. I even got an idea for my AP 3D Art project from one of the meetings!”

The ability for all members to have the courage to share their work was done in creating a safe and welcoming environment. Penola ensures that the respect and kindness of others is given at all times. He does everything in his power to make his room, 211, safe for all his students, especially his artists. 

He says, “The art that they–that we–create can often be really personal, as if we’re pouring out our souls, our very selves, into those words or onto that page. Sharing that piece of art–that piece of yourself–can be difficult to do even with your best friend, let alone a complete stranger from another grade.”

Penola says, “Stepping into 211, you get an eyeful of JOHN PENOLA. It’s weird, and it’s certainly not for everyone, but I’m not hiding who I am. It’s my way of silently saying, “It’s okay to be yourself here. It’s okay to be weird. Everyone is welcome here.” 

Members of the club whole-heartedly acknowledge the work put into the environment that Penola has created. Nieto says, “These people are so kind and really want to see you succeed. Their compliments are genuine and specific because they know what it feels like to have an emotional connection to a piece.”

There is a long list of reasons to join this club. Porada says, “People should join this club because it is limitless. Whether you want to go to listen and look at other people’s art or share your own, Feedback has a place for everyone. Everyone is like minded in that they love and appreciate art.”

Nieto says her favorite part about the club is “Seeing the work and attention-to-detail that goes into their process, whether the piece has been with them for three minutes, or three weeks.”

Nieto also says, “I say without any hesitation that everyone should stop by at least once in their life. It’s beautifully led and very casual, so there isn’t any pressure if you can’t stay.”

Acceptance, kindness, inspiration, and respect is always within every meeting. The most casual club out there, with no requirements, no mandatory meetings, and nothing but a fun and inspiring time for all.

Google Classroom Code: 3o7qpzm