National School Counseling Week 2022

The Counseling team at KHS explains their role in helping students and how they achieve it.
Kristina Haviland
Guidance counselors Lauren Higgins and Marlene Goudreau.

Given a current political climate that includes issues like mental health, COVID-19, and gun control, many counselors have been employed by schools in an attempt to help students through their high school careers. The School Counseling team at KHS provides a great amount of support to students both academically, emotionally, and socially.

Whether there’s a concern for grades, college, friends, or mental health, there are many people employed at KHS to support students along the way. Supervisor of Counseling, Rachel Ciottariello says, “I always describe the school counseling office as the nerve center of the building. Everything we do has a direct effect on all academics, teachers, students, and parents. The school counseling office is often viewed as a lifeline to the school community.”

Ciottariello has a great deal of responsibilities as the supervisor. She says, “I collaborate with principals, administration, Child Study Team members, and community resources. I also provide opportunities for effective staff development that addresses the needs for counseling, 504 Plans, guidance, college and career education programs including workshops, conferences, and visitation.” She oversees many other concerns and events as well.

The three guidance counselors, Lauren Biggins, Marlene Goudreau, and Monica Gormley, have a variety of ways to help a student in need; they work with all grade levels. Ciottariello says, “Each counselor has a unique set of skills, or as I like to call them ‘Superpowers’…each brings a unique talent and set of skills to the team, making it a strong and complete department.” 

The counselors and Ciottariello are always working side-by-side. They meet weekly as a department to make both long and short-term plans that will benefit the whole school community.

Biggins says, “We work with social-emotional well-being, social-emotional learning, academic counseling, study skills, and college and career counseling.” 

If and when they cannot help a student, they can refer them to another person based on their needs. Goudreau says, “I’m like a first person they can come to for support, and if I can’t assist them then I can put them in touch with the right people.” 

Students can come to them at any time they may need to. “I encourage everyone to come, but I think because of Covid a lot of students like to communicate through email lately,” says Biggins. “If some students are having a really difficult time they come sometimes daily, it ranges, depending on the students’ needs.”

Along the way, many students face challenges in a variety of areas. If it is academic, Goudreau said, “My suggestion would be to try not to fall behind because that’s when stress starts to build up. I recommend seeing teachers for extra help sessions and if there is an issue with a teacher, we can assist with communication so it isn’t as intimidating for the student.”

Sophomore Sophie Pogodin says, “I have had a lot of questions regarding classes and scheduling, and going to my counselor helped many of those questions get answered.”

Biggins says, “We are a resource here, we work kind of like a mirror to help ask questions, and process a lot of those things, find strategies to work through.” She also says, “We have Mrs. Wysocki who is our SAC, there is care plus in the building, and we offer a bunch of other referrals outside.”

Although the guidance counselors can help both academically and emotionally, the Student Assistance Counselor Danielle Wysocki can better help with the social-emotional struggles. Wysocki sees 3-10 students each day, offering individual counseling based on what they are coming to her for. She tries to support them and give them help for whatever they are dealing with, whether that be academic or social-emotional.

Wysocki says the most effective way to improve a student’s area of struggling is to, “Meet them where they are, so having them be part of the process. Goal setting and identifying our strengths and then moving towards whatever weakness you want to improve on.”

Although there is a large team of support for students at the school, some are still hesitant to seek help. Wysocki says, “Struggling alone only keeps you isolated and stuck in an uncomfortable position, but reaching out for support is not a weakness; it is actually a strength.”

Sophomore Kayla Vazquez says, “I have had a few issues with classes and I was hesitant to asking about them. But when I did, it actually helped a lot and I was able to resolve a few things.”

It is extremely important to have this team of people in a school setting. Goudreau says, “Everybody comes here to school with a story. There are things that people are dealing with outside of school that teachers don’t know about. We all have the same goal, so we are here to help remove obstacles and to support students who need extra support so that everyone can reach their best level of success.”