The Man in the Hat

An Interview with Kinnelon High School’s Most Renowned Substitute Teacher, Joe Pedalino
Jake Piccola
A poll with 26 students was conducted to see how many people are familiar with Pedalino.

Kinnelon High School has had hundreds of substitute teachers throughout the year, but none have drawn attention like Hat Guy. No, that is not his real name but a nickname bestowed onto him by my students. Joe, “Hat Guy” Pedalino, a retired commercial flooring salesman who hated every 35 years he spent being a salesman, is now the student’s favorite sub at Kinnelon High School. 

Pedalino lives in Kinnelon with his girlfriend, Audrey, and their Dachshund, Bend. Pedalino has two children, a daughter, Gail, who is married; and a son, Sammy, who is finishing two masters in Business and Finance at Oklahoma University. Pedalino says he is very proud of both of his children. 

However, Pedalino wouldn’t be Hat Guy without the infamous nickname given to him by two of his favorite students, Alex Regan and Dan Spano, “I was subbing in a class where juniors Alex Regan and Dan Spano were, and in the middle of the class, Alex Regan gets up and asks me what he thinks about his “griddy”. I was perplexed. I looked at the paraprofessional in class, and looked back at Alex and died of laughter”. 

Once the nickname came to be, everyone started to call him Hat Guy. Going from just a regular sub he became the most popular and loved sub in Kinnelon. Senior Nick Canariato says, “Hat is a great guy and every time I see him he always puts a smile on his face because of all his jokes. He has made a great relationship with the players on the boys basketball team and a relationship with the whole school. He is a real jokester”. 

Other than subbing, Pedalino is a sports announcer for many KHS sports such as boys and girls soccer, basketball, and lacrosse. Although he loves all sports, he would have to say that his favorite to announce is basketball because he is inside and feels connected with the fans and immersed in the game as it is right in front of him. 

Although the seniors are leaving which means a departure from their favorite sub, Pedalino might be able to live on with them. Pedalino loves the name Regan came up with and is thinking about coming out with merchandise. “I am trying to develop a clothing brand. 

‘Hat Guy Hats and Clothing’ with all profits of sales to go to Kinnelon Cheer.” With hats and shirts that people can wear, “Hat Guy” will always be a part of the students who love him.