Carolers, Drives, and Candy Canes, Oh My!

Holidays are arriving and so are the traditions–here are some of the ones students look forward to the most!
Doctor Bruffy
Allied Health Academy packing gifts from their holiday toy drive.

As the temperatures are dropping, holiday cheer is rising and traditions are returning. Snow is falling as the halls of KHS ring with students singing, making gifts for the soldiers, and much more. Traditions including toy drives and holiday grams excite the students and staff. 

Many clubs at KHS run events that fundraise while also spreading holiday cheer. Students and staff enjoy these events as a way to come together. Each year everyone has their favorite event, whether it’s gifting teachers or hearing the band play holiday songs.

As the holiday season is approaching, so are holiday grams. Sophomore Sienna Fein shares her favorite tradition, “It makes me so happy to see the Kinnelon choir students come into our classes and sing Christmas carols because it makes me think of the holidays and just thinking about it makes me joyful.” These holiday grams fill teachers and students with happiness due to their upbeat holiday songs. 

While some tradition’s goal is to spread cheer, others are to help a good cause. One of these includes the charity “Shelter Our Soldiers” which makes care packages for deployed soldiers. Sophomore Kendal Koger explains that this is her favorite festivity, “During the holidays we make these boxes for the soldiers in the army, and I really enjoy that because it’s helping out people that are helping us in the world. I would recommend this tradition to someone else because it’s pretty easy to do and affordable. You are also helping people and showing them that you care for them.” This shows that the organization is helping these soldiers feel appreciated and loved. 

For several years, science teacher Wendy Bruffy has run an organization called Gift Drive that helps children who are less fortunate and cannot afford gifts for the holidays. 

Fellow science teacher Nancy Rinaldi states, “My favorite holiday tradition at KHS is Doctor Bruffy’s gift drive that she runs during the holiday time for students not students here at the high school but children in New Jersey who don’t have as many advantages as we have, so Dr. Bruffy sends out a list for students and staff who can sign up for things and then we go shopping for somebody else.” This club helps children get gifts they may or may not receive during the holiday season. This is a very thoughtful thing to do because children are filled with excitement when getting a present. It is important to remember that not everyone is fortunate enough to receive gifts during the holiday season. 

KHS has many transitions every holiday season that students and staff can look forward to. With so many different events, everybody has one they look forward to the most. Many clubs work hard to fundraise while also being festive, and each one pays off as members of KHS always appreciate these fun festivities. 

https://www.toysfortots.org/ -This is where people can denote gifts for children who are in need.