Bones and All: A hungry young love story starring Timothée Chalamet and Taylor Russell

IMDb
Screenshot from horror movie “Bones and All” directed by Luca Guadagnino

An upcoming coming-of-age horror film, “Bones and All,” starring Timothée Chalamet and Taylor Russell, has teens all over the world excited for Luca Guadagnino’s latest work.

Guadagnino’s new film, “Bones and All” is about two outcast teens, Maren (Taylor Russell) and Lee (Timothée Chalamet), who meet in a convenience store and travel the country together in search of Maren’s mother. Sounds like any other teen romance movie, right? But, this movie has a twist to it. Cannibalism. 

These two teens are both what they call “Eaters” in this horror film. Even though this movie is a romance movie and follows Maren and Lee as they fall in love, there are some gory factors in it. While traveling, Maren comes across another Eater named Sully (Mark Rylance) who teaches her how to smell other eaters. 

This film got a lot of praise on social media but did get some backlash too. “It’s a preposterous debacle that might work better as a Halloween skit on Saturday Night Live, but it takes itself seriously, which makes it seem even sillier. I found the result too sick and disgusting to describe, but not interesting enough to care,” says a critic from Observer.

“Bones and All” is a disturbing film with a sick plotline that only some viewers enjoyed. This movie was meant to be a romance film with a dark twist to it. Some viewers loved it and overlooked the cannibalistic element of it, and some chose not to.

For all of the blood, guts, and gore, for all of the stomach-cramming gluttony, here’s a story brimming with extraordinary romanticism. What emerges, by the end, is one hell of an ode to giving yourself to the ones you love: your bones and all.”

— critic from The Playlist

The director of “Bones and All,” Guadagnino, also directed award-winning films such as, “Call Me by Your Name” and “I Am Love.” His most popular work, “Call Me by Your Name,” won an Academy Award for Best Writing in 2018 after it came out in 2017. This film drew a lot of attention to Guadagnino and sparked interest in “Bones and All.”

Bones and All was praised for its unique plot line but also for its cinematography. “The journey winds from Virginia to Minnesota and beyond, by way of picturesque spots in Maryland, Ohio, Kentucky, and other states. (The cinematographer, Arseni Khachaturan, favors a moody autumnal palette),” Scott writes in a New York Times article

What sparked teens’ interest in this new movie was the two main characters who are played by Chalamet and Russell. Chalamet is best known for his breakthrough role in Guadagnino’s “Call Me by Your Name.” It came out in 2017 and first sparked fans’ interest in Chalamet. Since then, he has been in popular movies such as “Dune,” “Little Women,” and “Beautiful Boy.”

The other star in this movie, Russell, is best known for starring in the Netflix series “Lost in Space” (2018-2021) and starring in the horror film “Escape Room” in 2019 and its sequel in 2021. 

“Bones and All” had high expectations from watchers, but it definitely lived up to those expectations. “I went into the movie not really knowing what it was about so I was kinda shocked but I really liked it. It was really interesting and confusing because it has such a weird plot but it was overall really good.” said freshman Daniella Miglaa while talking about what she thought of the movie.