PARCC Standardized Testing: Good or Bad?

Photo from Wikimedia Commons
Both students and teachers have been weighing the pros and cons of required testing like PARCC.

Today, high school students across the state are faced with multiple school-related challenges. Depending on the classes they take, students can have to write lengthy papers, take various exams, and work on projects. Each task has both advantages and disadvantages, and the same can be said for New Jersey’s Standardized PARCC testing.

One benefit is that it can contain questions relating to topics students learned that year. “While it does have materials from the school year and can be easy, it should have a better format or programming,” says freshman Zenobia Ahsan. On the other hand, some argue that the formatting could use improvement.

Overall, students have relatively few complaints on the formatting.“English is pretty straightforward with a short story and answers following, so the format isn’t anything too difficult. The math portion is the same but with mathematical equations and places to answer them. The answering mechanisms are a bit confusing but besides that it’s not that bad,” says freshman Lauren Lee.

However, there are smaller details that could use adjustments. “It doesn’t follow regular typing and some of the normal signs or symbols are used very differently than what students are used to,” says Ahsan.

Besides formatting, there is also the matter of whether or not PARCC should be required. Based on graduation year, state testing is required and PARCC tests or equivalents (SAT, PSAT, ACT, etc.) are mandatory; contrary to popular belief, there is no permitted “opt out.”

“I believe PARCC shouldn’t be mandatory. Those who have studied and want to take their academics to another level should be able to. Those who don’t want to shouldn’t be required to,” says freshman Savanah Ardrey.

Not to mention, most teachers spend time preparing their students for PARCC. That time could be spent learning new material, doing projects, and more. “PARCC doesn’t accurately depict the value of a classroom education and forces teachers to teach tests instead of unique lessons,” says freshman Julia Hackney.

Plus, there are students that think and learn in unconventional ways. “All students learn differently and standardized testing only caters to children who think in a traditional way of thinking,” says Hackney.

Each student also practices and prepares in different ways.“I think PARCC testing is beneficial, but we should have more practice beforehand,” says sophomore Alexa Giacoio. The amount of practice provided or available to students varies, but more practice has the potential to help those taking PARCC to improve.

Additionally, PARCC can affect students, teachers, and even the school itself. “I think it’s harmful to the school because many students today are lazy and do not demonstrate their full ability on the tests. This reflects poorly on the school,” says freshman Jacob Prescott.

The PARCC can provide practice for the SAT’s and ACT’s, which are also standardized tests. “I think it’s a good opportunity for students to get an insight on how standardized testing works, and it prepares you for the SAT’s and ACT’s. Only most students think it’s a waste of time and because it may not count towards their grades, that they shouldn’t try,” says sophomore James Kimberlin.