A Real Winner: A Teacher Feature on Kristen Winner

Mrs.+Winner+in+her+classroom.+
Photo by Maya Vaitovas
Mrs. Winner in her classroom.

“Her class is a positive environment and she makes the material clear, yet pushes us to do our best work.”

A teacher like that, as described by student Karolyna Link, sounds like a winner.

Kristen Winner is one of the new staff members of Kinnelon High School and currently teaches the AP and CP biology courses.

“I’ve been teaching biology for 12 years. I taught the first 11 years in Chester County, Pennsylvania at a school about the size of Kinnelon called Octorara High School,” said Winner.

When asked why she decided to come to Kinnelon, Winner said, “My husband got a job transfer that moved my family and me here in August,” which is why she was able to take the open position at Kinnelon.

The reason Winner wanted to become a teacher is because, as she said, “science, specifically biology, was always my favorite subject. As I progressed through high school and college, I loved it more and more. I really love kids as well, so teaching felt like a perfect fit.”

Winner also said, “My favorite thing about teaching science is it is always changing, and a lot of times you have to make mistakes in order to figure out a problem. It has always [shown] me that it’s ok to make mistakes and sometimes… mistakes lead to an epiphany.”

To be a teacher, especially a biology teacher one needs a degree; Winner said, “I got my undergrad at West Chester University in Secondary Education Biology and my masters at the University of Scranton in Curriculum and Instruction.” Both schools are located in Pennsylvania where Winner worked and lived before she moved to Kinnelon.

When asked what she would do if she was not teaching Winner said, “I love to travel if money was not an option I would be a traveling photographer.”