Squared: The Twins of KHS

A Personal Reflection
 Patrick and Olivia Welega matching for Christmas 2017. Photo by: Olivia Welega.

According to BabyCenter.com, only three percent of all births in the United States result in twins. However, Kinnelon High School seems to be a special case, with a student body consisting of many sets of them.

As a twin, I can say that twins wind up being together often, sometimes even in the same class in school. It is like having a built-in friend; they always have someone to talk to or help.

This does not mean that they do not fight, though; it is like any other type of sibling. Fights happen, and being a twin does not change that. In some cases, it may even make it worse. There is more competition as a twin, especially with identical ones. This is because they wind up feeling as though they are competing for friends, grades or even to be the better player on a sports team. I have a fraternal twin, but we still do compete with each other when it comes to things like who is a better athlete or who has better grades.

When asked if twin telepathy is real, Matt Gear, a sophomore who has a twin sister, Madison, said, “I think twin telepathy is a thing sometimes but not all the time; it can’t be constant, it just happens at certain moments.”

However, sophomore and twin Olivia Welega said, “Honestly, sometimes my brother and I will sing songs at the same time out of nowhere, but I just think it’s a coincidence; however it could be twin telepathy. I’m not a big believer in it.”

According to LiveScience.com, twin telepathy has more to do with the siblings shared experiences and environment.  It happens with anyone who has spent substantial amounts of time together.

Twins David and Rachel Delaney at the beach summer of 2017. Photo by: Rachel Delaney.

Welega also said, “I do like being a twin because I get to have someone I can hang out with every day; it’s like having a best friend always at home.”