Giving Back in the Giving Season

Donated goods waiting to be wrapped. Photo by Ethan Burt.

As the holiday season approaches, many people’s minds go to hopes for presents, good food, and holiday fun. Unfortunately, there are still many people who are just concerned about where their next meal is coming from, and how they will be able to escape the cold winter weather. A disproportionately high percentage of these homeless Americans are veterans who have fought for the freedoms that citizens enjoy.

The Kinnelon High School Give Back Club wants to help the nation’s downtrodden heroes by assembling care packages for them. The packages include things to help the veterans bear the cold winter nights, including hats, blankets, and socks. They also feature personal hygiene products such as deodorant, toothbrushes, and soaps. Some individuals, clubs, and local businesses such as the Women of Smoke Rise and the Montville Inn are contributing to this cause by collecting donations and money and giving it to this foundation.

There is no set amount of care packages that will be assembled, though.

“It depends on how many donations we get… we have to see what we get from the community,” says Danielle Elia, history teacher and Give Back Club advisor. She also said that they had been able to deliver packages to upwards of 100 veterans in years prior.

If interested in helping this noble cause, bring in goods to Elia in Room 211 or any members of the club.