Spirit Week Summary 2019-2020

The Event Students were Looking Forward to Since September
Lors Photography
Photo from Band day 2019.

Spirit Week at KHS proved to be another fun-filled week packed with events and competitions that the entire student body could enjoy. Festivities ran the week of Oct. 14  and concluded with the homecoming game against Pequannock High School.

This year’s theme deviated from last year’s theme of “Decades”; instead, the Student Council chose to shake things up with an entertainment theme.  Seniors chose sports, the juniors went with movies/film, the sophomores saw the bright lights of Broadway, and the freshman were left with comics. 

The week and competition kicked off with America Day and Karaoke, where the sophomore class won first place for their performance of “Sweet Caroline” which brought the entire class to their feet.

The Quiz Bowl ended in a three-way tie between the freshman, juniors and seniors while the sophomores clinched the coveted Battle of the Bands title.  As usual, the pie-eating contest and tug of war continue to be fan favorites.

An important highlight of the week is the spotlight on community service; The KHS Volleyball team sponsored the Dig Pink initiative, which raised funds for breast cancer research with a student vs. faculty game. The same day as the game, the entire student body wore pink to show their support.

Not to mention, all classes generously donated canned goods, pasta, cereals and cases of water to the local food pantry and Shelter Our Soldiers organization; the classes raised about $3000 toward care packages which are put together by the Give Back Club each year. 

Spirit Week concluded with the annual color day events during school hours and then a homecoming game that evening themed “blackout.” At half-time the banners created by each grade according to their theme were presented and the homecoming nominees were introduced.

Following this, the nominees Jack Lazarus and Julia Cacci were crowned King and Queen. Finally, the juniors were announced to be the winners of KHS’ 2019 Spirit Week; seniors came in second, the sophomores placed third, and the freshman came in last. 

The evening ended with fireworks and a win for the KHS football team against Pequannock in their game.