And The Show Goes On

Kinnelon High School Musical Production performs ‘Into The Woods’ while COVID-19 ramps up in New Jersey
Jeanette Baldisserotto
Junior Owen Kruger (left), senior Angelina Moore and freshman Caroline Nieto in action during the play.

Even with the COVID-19 spreading across New Jersey, the Kinnelon Musical Theatre cast still came together to perform “Into The Woods” on March 13. Due to the virus, the two performances on March 14 were canceled but the March 13 show went as planned. 

Senior cast member Noreen Abedrabbo faced an unfortunate result of losing the two Saturday performances; she understands the circumstances, but, because of the virus, none of her family could attend the Friday show. “They all bought tickets for Saturday and had plans on Friday,” says Abedrabo. However, Abedrabbo is grateful to have had at least one show to perform in as ‘Jack’s Mother.’  

Freshman Caroline Nieto was also a part of the show. She played ‘Little Red Riding Hood’ and looks forward to doing many more shows at KHS in the future. Her experience in the show was “surreal because we had worked so hard, and we only had one shot to do everything we wanted to do, but I think it made it that much more special for us.” Nieto explains how only doing one show gave everyone “high energy” making for a well-done performance by all. She also expresses the cast’s luck; the cast actually got to perform while “many other school shows around the country were canceled or postponed.”

The show must go on, and, man, did it go on.

— Owen Kruger

The audience was beyond impressed with the show. Junior Sarah Armstrong saw the performance and said,  “The show was amazing! I feel bad that the cast only had one show because they deserve more recognition for all the effort they put in.”

Junior Owen Kruger, playing the role of ‘the Baker’ in the show, agrees that the musical was special and that it was the best-case scenario to have one showing. “The seniors really got robbed of those extra two opportunities to give it their all. However, getting one show was definitely the best-case scenario. I was even surprised we even got a show at all, honestly. In every class I was in on Friday, I said, ‘The show must go on,’ and, man, did it go on.”