Class of 2022 Valedictorian

Valedictorian of the Class of 2022 shares her journey throughout high school.

As a freshman in high school, one may wonder if they will ever be valedictorian in their final year; senior Claire Zhang happens to be the top student in the Class of 2022. She has shared her ups and downs of high school academics, strategies and advice, and what lies for her in the upcoming years.

Senior Claire Zhang has been announced Valedictorian for the Class of 2022. Zhang says, “ I knew I was in the top, but yeah I was a bit surprised to be Valedictorian.” 

Zhang’s hard work over her four years at KHS has helped her reach this position. “I’ve definitely put a lot of time into school, preparing for tests, and studying. I’ve been working hard for all 4 years and I’m glad it all paid off.”

Zhang says she would not change anything about her high school career. She says, “I think I had a good experience overall. It was pretty tough, but I learned how to manage my time, and study effectively.”

Math teacher Jacqueline Bagarozza says, “Claire’s work ethic allows her to be resilient when facing a challenge. When she encounters a problem, instead of shying away or shutting down, she becomes motivated to work even harder in order to overcome.”

Zhang will be attending the University of Pennsylvania with a dual major in biology and material engineering. She says, “I always knew I wanted to do something in science or math so I took almost all the science classes. I figured out that I liked biology and physics so I explored those fields outside of school through research and then realized I wanted to do engineering and biology.”

Many high achieving students want to be at the top of their class as an end goal. Some advice from Zhang; she says, “Work hard but having the best grades isn’t everything and you should have a balance of academic life and social life. I never really sacrificed hanging out with friends for studying for hours and hours because at some point it doesn’t help and isn’t worth it.”

Zhang’s hard work does not go unnoticed by her teachers. Bagarozza says, “Claire is one of the hardest working students that I have ever had.  She always comes to class with a smile and a positive attitude.”

French teacher Sophie Adams says, “I know for sure that Claire has grown into a bright, humble young adult who deeply cares about the world she lives in.  Anyone who gets the opportunity in the future to teach Claire, work with her, or just cross paths with her will be very fortunate.”

Zhang will be delivering a speech at graduation on Jun. 21 at KHS. She says, “I am excited, it’ll be fun, although I have not written it yet.”