Life of a Cosmetologist in High School

Senior Hailey Fenelon takes steps to become a licensed cosmetologist
Fenelon practices and curled blows out hair on a mannequin.
Hailey Fenelon

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live out your dream while still in high school? Well, that is not a problem for Senior Hailey Fenelon! Fenelon is a current student at Kinnelon High School and a cosmetologist student at Morris County School of Technology (MCST), Denville, NJ.

Fenelon applied and was accepted into the MCST’s cosmetology program before her junior year of high school.

Fenelon will be receiving her cosmetology license in June 2024. As a cosmetology student, she has learned “Anatomy, Physiology, Chemistry, and Trichology. Along with all aspects of hair, skin, and nails,” said Fenelon.  

These specific disciplines in cosmetology are known as hairstyling, which is hair cutting and coloring, esthetics (skincare), makeup application, nail care (manicures and pedicures, and other beauty treatments. “I attend KHS from 7:30 a.m. – 10:32 a.m. which is around the KHS lunchtime and I attend MCST which is about a 20-minute drive away from the hours of 12 p.m. – 3 p.m.,” said Fenelon.

With a little bit of traveling and dedication to her studies, she can manage both high school and cosmetology school all at once. “I tend to focus on my classes outside of school to get certifications in the Cosmo field.” 

One fact about being a cosmetologist is that it is different from being a beautician. Cosmetologists usually have more extensive training and more expertise in beauty treatments. A beautician can perform basic hairstyles, whereas a cosmetologist should be able to work with all types of hair to bring in more clients.

Fenelon practicing curling hair with a mannequin. ( Hailey Fenelon)

The difference between cosmetologists and estheticians are typically found in spas while cosmetologists commonly work in beauty salons. They share common ground but estheticians focus on skin care services while cosmetologists specialize in beauty services around hair.

Because Fenelon is training to become a licensed cosmetologist, her license will come with the ability to work with all of the above, such as hair, nails, and skin. “As of now, I’m certified in OSHA for Cosmo (Occupational Safety and Health Administration), lash extensions, keratin services, and 3 different hair extension brands, such as Donabella, Academy Pro, and Cinderella,” said Fenelon. 

Fenelon has practiced hair dyeing on peer Kance Klunder. She took her cosmetology skills and practiced bleaching and dying Klunder’s hair from dirty blonde to a dark black shade. 

After high school, Fenelon plans to continue with her studies and specialize in a little bit of everything in the cosmetology field; but she plans to start her career with working with hair and lashes.