A ‘Grand’ Moment

Senior and Captain Nick Canariato scores his 1000th point of his career
+Left+to+right%3A+Ryan+Geng%2C+Zach+Grande%2C+Nick+Canariato%2C+Jace+Marone%2C+Dylan+Charles%2C+and+Coach+Dave+Kessinger+after+Canariatos+1000th+point+game%0A
Riley Darlington
Left to right: Ryan Geng, Zach Grande, Nick Canariato, Jace Marone, Dylan Charles, and Coach Dave Kessinger after Canariatos 1000th point game

With a lot of hard work and dedication, senior Nick Canariato scored his 1000th point of his Kinnelon High School basketball career on Jan. 17 at Pequannock High School. Canariato joined the KHS “1k Club,” where he was cheered on by his team, family, and friends at the game. He is now honored as part of an elite group of athletes who have achieved this milestone and continues to make his mark as one of Kinnelon’s all-time top players. 

Canariato has played basketball for over 10 years. He has been on the KHS Varsity basketball team for all four years of high school and has been a starting player since his freshman year. He continuously adapts and works hard with his teammates, and has been leading the basketball team as captain since his junior year. Canariato is the 11th boy’s basketball player of KHS to achieve this milestone of 1000 points. He joins the list of other Colt athletes, including Walt Bateman, Craig Dowell, Pete Polo, Todd Price, Tony Schembri, Bernie Stiroh, Neil Owens, Dennis Severino, Sean Robbins, and Bobby Lewit. 

Video Credit: KHS Senior Bryan Louzada 

Highlights of Nick Canariatos 1,000 point game at PTHS 

Senior Greg Nascimento says, “I was teammates with Nick since third grade. I grew up playing basketball with him and I was really happy and proud of my longtime friend when he achieved this accomplishment, and was happy to support him from the student section.”

Throughout the season, Canariato has been working hard to achieve his 1000th point of his career. Going into the Pequannock game, Canariato had a deep feeling that it was going to be the game. “Being only six points away from my 1000th point going into the game definitely made me nervous. However, seeing everyone there, supporting me and the team, calmed me down. Once I scored the 1000th point, all of my stress went away. It was a great feeling knowing that all of my hard work over the years all paid off in the end. I am excited to continue finishing out my final season with my teammates,” says Canariato.

KHS student section supporting Nick Canariato and the team at his 1000th point game
(Riley Darlington)

The fans were going insane as Canariato scored his 100th point. This was a big deal for not only Canariato, but KHS, and the varsity basketball team. 

The student section was packed. Students supported Canariato and the team by wearing all green. “Game Day Sports” was nice enough to donate t-shirts for the student section to wear with “Kinnelon Basketball” on the front. Students made posters, banners, and held cutouts of “1000.” There were many photographers there to capture the moment. 

Despite the Colt’s loss 70-56, Canariato and the team did not let that ruin the moment. Fellow senior and captain Dylan Charles says, “It’s been great playing with him for the past four years and even throughout our childhood. He’s the hardest worker out there and his accomplishment highlights that.”

This was a big moment in which Kinnelon is proud to support Canariato. Although Canariato does not plan to play competitive basketball in college, he will finish out his senior season with a bang, and intending to participate in intramural basketball in college. KHS continues to wish Canariato and the team the best of luck for the rest of the season.