Samantha Mortimer takes on Wagner College

How lacrosse affects not only her collegiate future but also colors her family dynamic
Jake Piccola
Mortimer and her family on signing day.

Wearing a luau skirt and lei, the lax luau in fourth grade was Samantha Mortimer’s first memory of playing lacrosse.

She walked on the field knowing lacrosse would stick with her for the rest of her life. Mortimer was love-struck for lacrosse when joining her first club team. “I realized this sport was really interesting and I wanted to advance my   skills and play at the next  level.”          

Mortimer plans to go Division-1 at Wagner College and has officially signed. Many factors led her to choose Wagner, but unlike other schools, she says “Wagner includes the ability to play lacrosse at the Division 1 level, and going through the nursing program was the biggest factor in my decision.”

Since the beginning of her career, her biggest inspiration was her dad. Throughout the years of coaching and assisting her, he has always been there. Mortimer’s dad, John Mortimer, says, “Watching Samantha grow as a player throughout the years, I can’t wait to see what she accomplishes in her upcoming years.” Not only is Mr. Mortimer a role model to his daughter, but he has also been a major inspiration to the Kinnelon Girls Recreation Lacrosse Program. From coaching the program for 10 years, and now moving up to become the head of Kinnelon High School girls lacrosse coach.

Senior Samantha Mortimer taking the draw against Kittatinny.

Similar to how Mortimer’s dad inspired her, she plans to inspire her sister in addition to the Girl’s Lacrosse team for the 2024 season by living out her dreams at Wagner. Even though she is proud of who her sister has become today, Madison Mortimer will still be missing her. “Sam has been a big inspiration to me my whole life; being able to play with her one last year as my captain is something I’m looking forward to.”

Last year, Mortimer stepped up from her defender position to becoming a midfielder by ending the season with 40 goals, 24 assists, and 29 ground balls. Being a captain this year she plans to lead the lacrosse team by “making the season fun and enjoyable for everyone by organizing team bonding activities and creating a positive environment.” 

Mortimer, alongside Kate Donaldson, has done a great job preparing the girls for the season by sending out wall ball routines and having an off-season training team available to join. “Sam is a very dedicated lacrosse athlete, which can be seen not only through her skill but her initiative in the preseason,” says sophomore Kelly Donaldson.

In addition, she plans on stepping up to fill in the shoes of past seniors from years prior by understanding the leadership styles of previous captains, learning from their experiences, and effectively communicating with the team. 

While helping coach her sister on her club lacrosse team, being a captain for this year’s girl’s lacrosse team, and leaving a legacy for her sisters, Mortimer is excited to join the girl’s lacrosse team at Wagner College in the spring of next year. “The team dynamic at Wagner is great. I am excited to join the players and coaches, they are all so close like a family together.”