Kinnelon Through the Decades

A 1994 football game at Kinnelon High School. Photo: 1995 Kinnelon High School Yearbook.
KHS Library Media Center

Kinnelon High School, despite its constant changes, is a museum.  Each senior portrait hung by the auditorium, mural painted on a wall, and inside joke carved into a desk acts as an exhibit, giving a glimpse into the life of a student 30, or even 50, years ago.  Though it may feel like no one else has ever dealt with high school struggles, thousands of students have walked in the shoes of the freshmen at KHS: scared of upperclassmen, and struggling to find the elusive fourth floor.  

High school students on the field at Pearl R. Miller. Photo: 1985 Kinnelon High School Yearbook.

John Penola, an English and creative writing teacher, graduated from KHS in 2003. Though only 15 years ago, Penola states that there have been many changes regarding the atmosphere of the high school.  “The difference that technology makes is pretty astounding. The phones–and the culture that comes with them–has, more than anything, really changed the general way the students interact.”

Two girls in an art room at KHS in 1975. Photo: 1975 Kinnelon High School Yearbook.

Besides the social differences of KHS, the building used to be much smaller.  The band room is a more recent addition, as is the new gym. Change can even be seen within classrooms; chalkboards have been traded in for Smartboards, and laptop carts now reside in previously empty corners.  Over the past summer, even more security cameras were added to the hallways, which Penola said, “is really a reflection of the time.”  

A group of students eating lunch in 1965. Photo: 1965 Kinnelon High School Yearbook.

Luckily, some qualities of Kinnelon High School have never changed.  Spirit Week is still held above all else in terms of school spirit, and home football games still dominate Friday nights; bringing back the marching band, however, would be an excellent addition.