A New Colt on Campus

A New Colt on Campus

The Kinnelon High School campus rarely sees significant change; well no more.

As many readers may already know, a brand new statue was revealed at the halftime of the varsity home football game against Mountain Lakes on Sunday. This statue and accompanying plaque are in honor of the late coach Kevin Duffy, a long-time Kinnelon resident, parent, and coach who passed away from Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) last year; as a result, the game also included an ALS fundraiser.

According to the ALS Association, “ALS….is a neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord.” This disease affects around 20,000 Americans at any given time.”

The statue is erected in front of the school by the main entrance. Fans, students, and visitors will all see this new monument anytime they come to the school. The statue is near the entrance to the field and gym.

It remains to be seen if traditions will emerge, such as athletes touching the statue for luck or gathering around it before games or competitions.

The monument is composed of metal on a masonry base and is almost life-size. The horse was originally displayed at a New Jersey car dealership and has been repurposed by the school. Installation at KHS began during the summer. The statue had been kept under tarps since it was first installed, which has allowed for much excitement and buzz to grow within the KHS community.

From commemorating Duffy to campus beautification and increasing school spirit, administration hopes the statue will serve a variety of purposes. Kinnelon High School principal Gary Suda spearheaded the push to get a statue for the school.  Many other high schools in the region have their own statues or significant meeting locations such as boulders that the students take pride in, and the hope is that the statue will have a similar effect for the Kinnelon school community.