Who’s Running for the BOE? The Four Contenders: Jean Donaldson

Jean Donaldson, one of the candidates running for the 2020 Kinnelon BOE Election

With elections coming up for both our nation and our local BOE, political involvement is something that we all have to partake in. However, true information about each of our candidates is paramount in order to form wise, informed decisions. Below is the transcript of an interview conducted with BOE candidate Jean Donaldson in which she discusses her planned campaign policies and proven qualifications.

Who/What inspired you to run for our local BOE? What are a few campaign goals you hope to accomplish if elected?

• I was inspired to run for BOE by my children.  I have 4 children enrolled in Kinnelon schools and I want to make their educational experience the best it can be. 
  • I am also inspired by the American experiment that holds freedom sacrosanct.  It is what enables communities to come together to overcome obstacles and own how they want to live.  I feel it is my obligation to do my part to make Kinnelon a great place to live. (please see following questions for campaign goals)

What experiences/qualifications/beliefs do you have that are integral to your campaign’s validity? How have you attempted to reach out and connect to all members of our community, from the elderly to working adults to teens in high school?

• When I was serving as US Coast Guard Officer, I responded to many emergencies at all levels; local, state and federal.
    I have a lot of operational experience as a maritime law enforcement officer and as a helicopter pilot. I also served in Public and Government affairs roles dealing with the media and elected officials during national and regional emergencies. Therefore, I have a lot of experience working with diverse groups within the public policy domain. I offer this experience and the skills I have developed to continue the Kinnelon School District’s tradition of excellence. I think my background will be very helpful as we are currently in a state of emergency and hard decisions will need to be made to recover safely and return to normal. My experience will be of importance during this period when the Board of Education will be dealing with these decisions. I have coached numerous sports teams and volunteered in multifaceted areas of school involvement in the past so I have met many k-12 families. Specific to this campaign, I participated in three live meet the candidate events (1 on FaceBook Live) and three virtual zoom meetings. I also walked around various neighborhoods, left flyers on residences and posted lawn signs all around Kinnelon.
    Using a combination of in person efforts and social media, I have attempted to meet all aspects of our community.

How do you intend to support our faculty/staff should the pandemic continue to keep schools closed? For example, bus drivers, custodial workers, etc.

• The single most pressing issue in the Kinnelon School district is recovering from the impact of the COVID-19 restrictions.  Most of the staff have union representation that looks out for their interest, so I am more concerned with the students’ experience at present. 
  • The negative effect on education and child development is not debatable – it will have long-term effects.  Immediately, efforts must be attempted to return normalcy to the students within the Governor’s guidelines.  A plan/policy needs to be created to assess learning loss and how to recover that considering the various grades.  
  • However, my long term goal is to ensure that Kinnelon School District recovers and retains its tradition of excellence. The board of Ed has an obligation to create an environment that attracts and retains the best and the brightest educators and administrators so students are motivated to be the best they can be.  I want to help create that environment.

How do you intend to support/prepare students for life past high school?

• The ultimate goal of public education is to prepare our youth to be active citizens in this country.  To do this we need to educate the whole child so they have the confidence and education to participate in whatever future they choose.  Though Kinnelon’s academic rigor is impressive, it is not always the best fit for all people.  My long term goal would be to re-evaluate our current student curriculum policies to make sure we are providing the best options for all types of students while retaining the high academic standards we currently have.