Different COVID Protocols Amongst High Schools Across the Country

Covid affects all high schools in America but each takes on different approaches to protect their students.
Photo courtesy of pexels.com Example of a student learning all virtual, through a computer screen.

All high schools have released different guidelines to fight off corona-virus this school year. Some schools have done their best to keep attendance high in person while others have been closed down this entire year trying to promote staying home and stopping the spread of this virus.

Carlsbad, a town in San Diego California has not yet opened schools in person. Carlsbad high school student Chloe Fairchild stated “COVID precautions are very serious here especially with school and sports. That being said, no one has been able to go to actual school. We have all been virtual this year.”

This is much different than schools in New Jersey and Florida. “My school has been open all year with a couple of variations. I would say most people pick the option to go four days a week since all Wednesdays are virtual for everybody,” said Baylor Bartow, a student of Vero Beach West in Florida. And according to ABC News Covid – 19 cases are higher on the east coast compared to the west. So although Florida schools still have to participate in wearing masks and having dividers at their desks this could have an effect on higher COVID cases because of their school protocols compared to California.

In Ridgewood High School, a school about 30 minutes away from Kinnelon, they follow a hybrid schedule splitting the students in either group A or B and sending them to school every other day. Although they are allowed to go to school they are sent home at lunchtime to finish up the day at home. Ridgewood High School student Vann Pineault said, “Our school doesn’t know how to fit and handle everyone with COVID now during lunch so they send us home when it is time for lunch.”