The Community Created from “The Kave”

A run down through the rules and regulations of Kinnelon KRec Basketball
Colin Hertzberg takes a 3-point shot on a Saturday morning KRec Basketball game in the PRM gym.
Jake Piccola

3…2…1…NYLON! Kinnelon Recreational Basketball(KRec) has taken Kinnelon by storm as it has become one of the more popular recreational sports among all grade levels in Kinnelon. KRec includes students from grades 2-12 which makes it the longest recreational sport a kid can play in Kinnelon. 

KRec is open to all students who live in Kinnelon, regardless of what school they attend, be it private or public.  Eighth grade is the cutoff for all recreational sports, besides basketball, as playing both recreational and school sports is prohibited, thus lessening the playing pool. However, many basketball players do not play on the high school team, which allows for there to be enough teams in the league. 

Senior Matt Kispert used to play on the school team before he left to continue winter track. Kispert is now in his second season of KRec and says, “I enjoy playing rec basketball more than high school because I get to play with my friends who aren’t as competitive in the sport. It’s a nice way to spend time with the kids from town before we leave for college.” 

KRec games happen twice every week on Mondays from 6-8 p.m. and Saturdays from 10-12 a.m. where the games are played in four, 10-minute quarters with halftime for subs when the clock hits five minutes. Teams consist of around 7-9 players so all kids get an equal chance to play and get a fair amount of playing time between the kids on the team. Player’s parents make up the coaching staff for the KRec teams and this year there are a total of six coaches for six teams. 

John Solensky has been a rec coach for 9 years and many say he is a rec veteran. Solensky won a rec championship in 2022 with his star player and MVP Logan Casey. Solenksy, now entering his final coaching year says, “It’s been great being able to coach my son throughout my time coaching. It’s a lot of fun being able to play against other parents and kids in the town and it’s just a great experience overall.”

Survey taken by 27 Kinnelon High school students in January 2024.
(Jake Piccola)

KRec basketball has a solid media presence as there is both an Instagram and Twitch live stream to keep watch of game updates and even watch the games live with great commentary. The KRec Instagram has a following of 200 people where final scores of games, highest scorers, and any updates are posted for people to stay up to date with the games. KRec Basketball also has a Twitch stream where parents can watch games live from home. 

Twitch is a live streaming platform where some of the Krec games are live-streamed for parents to watch at home. The commentators of the stream are senior Scott Sanczyk and junior Luke Mauriello who commentate on any games they can when they are not playing in rec. Sanczyk says, “I love commentating the rec games for people who can’t always make it to see their kids play in games. Luke and I try to stream the games where we both aren’t playing and sometimes we will have a guest co-host if a conflict arises”. 

KRec has had a great showing of spectators and players after its return 4 years ago thanks to both Mayor Freda and the Kinnelon Recreation Department. The community around KRec basketball is amazing as players often stay after to watch the other games and people who don’t participate in KRec basketball come to watch too. Overall, a great environment and community for students and parents has been created through KRec basketball and everyone is looking forward to future seasons of the sport!