March Madness, The KHS Way.

The long-awaited student council 3-on-3 basketball tournament is BACK

Every March, students look forward to the 3-on-3 basketball tournament run by the Student Council. This tournament was started back in 2022, and there has been a great turnout for the past two years.

Each team is made up of three KHS students from any grade. However, only one KHS basketball player is allowed per team. The tournament is held the last two weeks of March during lunch blocks, which makes a super exciting opportunity for students to get together from all grades during lunch, and have a fun time supporting their peers. The tournament starts

(Left to right) 2023 Marco Leitao and Anthony Masherelli officiating the 3 on 3 tournament. (Riley Darlington)

with round-robin and semi-final games and ends with a championship game. This tournament is one of the KHS student’s favorite traditions.
Senior Jake Piccola, watching from the stands says, “I am so excited to watch the 3-on-3 tournament again this year. It is so much fun to watch my friends in different grade levels compete against each other. The games get intense!”

Last year, 15 teams participated in the tournament. Even students who were not participating in the tournament found ways to help out. Some students were referees and scorekeepers throughout the games at lunch. To participate in the tournament, athletes pay a $5 entry fee, which is donated to charity. Last year, student council members raised money for two charities, “Compassionate Kids NJ” and “Imagine”, from participants and spectators donating.

The overall winner of the tournament is presented with the basketball trophy. Last year, “The Sharpshooters” won the entire tournament. They were awarded the basketball trophy and also received individual trophies to always remember the tournament. This was a very exciting moment for Scott Sanczyk, Troy Schneider, and Kyle Bjornson, the three members of the winning team.

Team Captain Sanczyk says, “It was an honor to be the inaugural champion, but I could not have done without my teammates and former senior Richie Geng who stepped in for the finals. The Sharpshooters will be back for another championship this year, and our goal is nothing short of a championship.”

2023 Championship trophy and individual trophies for winning team.
(Riley Darlington)

Last year’s tournament had an amazing turnout and is a tradition that the student council is excited to bring back this year. Student Council advisor Hannah Sappio says, “The 3-on-3 tournament brings the KHS community together for some downtime during unit lunch. I am excited to host this tournament for a third year, along with the help of the student council members.”